Your opinion on Microclimate B1 dimming thermostat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptiles101

Reaction score
What's people's opinions on the Microclimate B1 Dimming Thermostat?

Cause I've been told these are the ones to get, as there so reliable.

Thumbs up from me :)

- - - Updated - - -

But I use B2/HT digital pulse

I've got a couple of the B1ME model. very good

microclimate B1

What's people's opinions on the Microclimate B1 Dimming Thermostat?

Cause I've been told these are the ones to get, as there so reliable.

I just got one a week ago.
new ones are a black box with green writing/symbols, very sexy!

Sorry to bump a thread nearly a month old, but has anyone bought these from overseas and had to deal with any sort of warranty or anything. I know the plugs have to be changed or an adapter used but i was just wondering if the savings are worth it.

AussieBen

And are the HT models worth it ?

Last edited:
i purchased one in australia and had to deal with the overseas warranty! Its all through the uk in one central location so you shouldnt have any dramas. Just be smarter then me and keep your proof of purchase =]

I've just picked up a habistat pulse thermostat from Victoria to use with a heat cord for my incubator... I believe they are a simple setup like the microclimates.. The simpler the better, less things to go wrong

[MENTION=39184]AussieBen[/MENTION] I got my 2 HT B2 from UK and got both for less than the price of one over here.... Tho my sons brought them back in there suit cases lol so from memory delivery costs may me quite high

I really rate Microclimate and use a lot of their thermostats.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

I bought one from the UK and paid freight and it still cost quite a bit less than purchasing in Australia. I cut the plug of so my warranty would have been void but so far so good and it hasn't failed after a couple of years.

That's really interesting to hear actually. I emailed Microclimate to ask about how the warranty works exactly and the reply i was given was:

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the enquiry into our products.

We have an Australian distributor names ( Removed ).

They deal with any warranty in Australia, however they will only look at thermostats that have been officially imported to Australia by themselves. These are marked and easily identifiable.

There are also extra components fitted inside the thermostats that we produce officially for Australia as they need extra protection because of the varied power quality across Australia with some thermostats being ran from generators etc.

So in answer to your question it would be possible to simply cut the plug off and fit an Australian plug however if there was any power spike (which there are lots of in Australia) then the thermostat would have no protection which could damage a component inside the thermostat called the triac, also you would have to return it to the UK for it to be looked at because it would be a grey import into Australia and ( Removed ) are under no obligation to look at thermostats that are grey imports.

Kind regards,

I guess if i got a couple years out of it i would say that would be money well spent. I am all for keeping our dollar here to support the economy and I understand that business is business and everyone needs to make a buck to feed their families and pay the bills, but i just wish that the Australian market was a bit more competitive in some aspects.

It's one thing to make a profit, it's another to plain and simply rip people off.

Haha what a load of crap. Who runs their house off a generator? Australian suburbs actually have a cleaner supply of electricity than they uk, though far from perfect also. If your computer blows up then you've had a spike! There are surge arresters that can help if you've noticed electronic equipment being damaged. Computers and such are much more sensitive than the electronics of a thermostat I assure you. So if your tv's and pc's work fine so will a uk thermostat. :)
I've got 4 habistat thermostats I imported from the uk also cheaper then I could get them here. Been working fine for ages. I chopped the plugs like @andynic07 did. Though we are both qualified electricians.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had 2 microclimates die on me recently, turns out it was because the sensor probe failed in them both. I simply emailed the UK head office and they put me in contact with an authorised repair centre in SA and they fixed it for $25 each. Turns out one of them was actually a UK model that had the plugs changed for Australia, and another one I had someone had played with it before I'd got it. But none the less they fixed them both and are working really well now.

The only thing to watch out on is if they're in a high humidity tank, that's what killed both mine, the habistat seems to be better for that.

I had 2 microclimates die on me recently, turns out it was because the sensor probe failed in them both. I simply emailed the UK head office and they put me in contact with an authorised repair centre in SA and they fixed it for $25 each. Turns out one of them was actually a UK model that had the plugs changed for Australia, and another one I had someone had played with it before I'd got it. But none the less they fixed them both and are working really well now.

The only thing to watch out on is if they're in a high humidity tank, that's what killed both mine, the habistat seems to be better for that.

That makes sense. Unlike the idea of the triac failing.

Did you cop any grief for them being imports even though they fixed them ?

I think i am just going to bite the bullet and take the chance, i have found a place over there where i can purchase the Microclimate B1ME HT for a really good price. If it was a closer match i would just get it locally but the savings are to far ahead to pass up i think.

Thanks for all the input guys, puts me a bit more at ease knowing there are people here that are using imports and not having to many problems.

That makes sense. Unlike the idea of the triac failing.
I’ve fixed three of them that had failed triacs and I’m pretty sure Andy had one with the same problem so it might not be because of our power supply stability but it’s definitely an obvious weak point in them.

Haha what a load of crap. Who runs their house off a generator?.
ummmm , my mate :) he lives in semi rural nsw and it would cost a small fortune for them to get power to their house due to the location , so they use a generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back