What exactly is a 'Ghost Childreni'? Is it a good thing?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its 100% normal for childrens to fade as they age thats just what they do. They also change colour/shades from season to season. Very normal for most childrens and lot of species of pythons for that matter.
The childrens i breed do exactly that as well but to me they are just nice light form childrens.

there is definitely something different going on with the real ghost children python line compared to a normal children python. The reason the US are so far ahead with their genetic morphs is because they have more open minds when it comes to reptiles that look different and don't just pass things off as ''normal''

Last edited:
there is definitely something different going on with the real ghost children python line compared to a normal children python. The reason the US are so far ahead with their genetic morphs is because they have more open minds when it comes to reptiles that look different and don't just pass things off as ''normal''

The reason they're so far 'ahead' is they have a much smaller gene pool and larger numbers being bred.

The ghost are nice pale/silvery/reduced patern childreni, however the colour change is not un-common. I prefered the silvery look to the colour change, with more breeding they're becoming nicer than the ones I had years ago however I noticed no significant difference in the colour change. Don't get me wrong, they're very pretty childreni.

The reason they're so far 'ahead' is they have a much smaller gene pool and larger numbers being bred.

The ghost are nice pale/silvery/reduced patern childreni, however the colour change is not un-common. I prefered the silvery look to the colour change, with more breeding they're becoming nicer than the ones I had years ago however I noticed no significant difference in the colour change. Don't get me wrong, they're very pretty childreni.

yes smaller gene pool and larger numbers ,would play apart but opening your mind that different looking reptiles can be a genetic morph or variations and not just ''normal''. I have seen childrens that were mean to be ghost that were clearly just the norm, its like the ''hypo'' or ''caramel'' coastals a lot of confusion there as well. The real ghost children line is stunning and I have witnessed colour change similar to the way a bearded dragons changes it shades of colour.

Brad Walker had one at pet city last sunday was really different and beautiful.

I have a childreni that is half ghost half yellow phase and all that I can notice is that the blotching is less prominant and the contrast is less. Apart from that the yellow phase adds a different bit of colour.

champagne,
like most species of python childrens come in a huge variety of colour/shade and pattern forms, and it IS very normal for alot of forms to show this "ghost" form as some would put it.
Still just normal old childrens to me and many others. Once youve seen numerous different children forms you will probally also agree.
Everyone seems to just what to put a silly name to some thing that they think is different these days, where in reality they are just a rather common form that not many people have seen before.
Hey but this is just my opinion.

Last edited:
On a slightly different line (stimmies) l have produced some that are T+ but the difference at birth is chalk and cheese, the T+ are "very pale" pink almost albino colouring at birth while the others in the clutch are a normal red/brown in colour while the parents are chocolate pin-stripes, personally l think a few ppl with paler hatchies are trying to jump on the T+ bandwagon, which is actually an "almost" zero amount of Tyrosine hence the name ... solar 17

champagne,
like most species of python childrens come in a huge variety of colour/shade and pattern forms, and it IS very normal for alot of forms to show this "ghost" form as some would put it.
Still just normal old childrens to me and many others. Once youve seen numerous different children forms you will probally also agree.
Everyone seems to just what to put a silly name to some thing that they think is different these days, where in reality they are just a rather common form that not many people have seen before.
Hey but this is just my opinion.

yes some children pythons have low quality ghost like characteristics that aren't anything special but there are children pythons which are genetic and display a higher quality ''ghosting'' then the normal ghosting that happens. Just like they are real genetic caramels/hypos and there are normal coastals with slight reduce black which is a normal variation that people call hypo even tho they aren't genetic or anywhere near the quality.

- - - Updated - - -

On a slightly different line (stimmies) l have produced some that are T+ but the difference at birth is chalk and cheese, the T+ are "very pale" pink almost albino colouring at birth while the others in the clutch are a normal red/brown in colour while the parents are chocolate pin-stripes, personally l think a few ppl with paler hatchies are trying to jump on the T+ bandwagon, which is actually an "almost" zero amount of Tyrosine hence the name ... solar 17

and that's the problem everyone wants to jump on the bandwagon without doing the hard work... how many grey coastals are now axanthics since larks proved out steve's line? of course they all are third generation cross backs brought from steve's cousin neighbour so 100% legit.

Last edited:
Ghost children's can be easily explained In this picture, here is a ghost children's in normal and ghost phase this is the same python.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 101
All pythons vary in colour, even in the same locality. Even the same individual can change colour over its life span or in response to environmemntal and metabolic triggers such as age, shedding or feed responses. Ghost is a discription of the appearence and may be short term, as part of a cycle or phase. It may also be genetic where the animal has a "pastel " colouration compared to the normal colouration. It is sensible to coin different names for different appearences as it enables easier descriptions but it does not necessarily impart an increased value, that's up to the buyer to decide what turns them on. jmo

champagne,
What does a normal coastal look like?.
Those normal coastals that you refer to with slightly reduced black, do not have slightly reduced black at all as its just a 100% normal form of a common old coastal.
Coastals come in just about every colour/shade and pattern that you could think of. They would have to be the most variable python in the world.
Most childrens change shades a number of times a year, this is also 100% normal for childrens.

Last edited:
champagne,
What is a normal coastal?.
Those normal coastals that you refer to with slightly reduced black, do not have slightly reduced black at all as its just a 100% normal form of a common old coastal.
Coastals come in just about every colour/shade and pattern that you could think of. They would have to be the most variable python in the world.
Most childrens change shades a number of times a year, this is also 100% normal for childrens.

I think you are missing my point, yes those coastals are normal but because some can look similar to the genetic hypo/caramels people then try to say theirs must be hypo/caramel as well. Same goes on with the children's python yes there are normal children python that change shades over the year/season so people also try and say theirs is a ghost but there is a genetic ghost line that changes there shade of colour a lot more frequently.

Maybe this line of children's are lot more sensitive to slight temp changes and this would explain why that the day to night appearance changes so often and the normal children python only display this ''ghosting'' on more extreme changes. I have seen a few ghost childreni that change constantly, even to the point of go to get the camera to take a photo come back and their colour/shade has changed back.

The childrens i keep and breed do the same thing but I still wouldnt call them ghosts or any other silly name. In fact in just one clutch I will get a few that hatch a golden form,( that people think are T+ but are not), some that look normal but fade as they age, some that are faded when hatched. As adults, except for the golden form that just changes shades every now and then, most of the others can get a golden/yellow hue one day and turn green the next. Quite normal for alot of childern forms to go thru these sort of changes imo.

The childrens i keep and breed do the same thing but I still wouldnt call them ghosts or any other silly name. In fact in just one clutch I will get a few that hatch a golden form,( that people think are T+ but are not), some that look normal but fade as they age, some that are faded when hatched. As adults, except for the golden form that just changes shades every now and then, most of the others can get a golden/yellow hue one day and turn green the next. Quite normal for alot of childern forms to go thru these sort of changes imo.

Its your choice what you do or don't call your snakes but you might have something different going on all together. A lot of people that don't understand or think everything is just ''line bred variations'' probably have something genetic with a single mode of inheritance. sad for the hobby really....

Ive been keeping and breeding snakes for a long time and seen this same sort thing happen in many lines of childrens over the years, once again its quite NORMAL for alot of childrens to do this. This is infact a common trait of many childerns.
I think its sad that many people put silly names to forms of snakes that are nothing more than normal animals. People need to get out and explore the country, I think you would be very surprised what you see, even in the same localities.

Ive been keeping and breeding snakes for a long time and seen this same sort thing happen in many lines of childrens over the years, once again its quite NORMAL for alot of childrens to do this. This is infact a common trait of many childerns.
I think its sad that many people put silly names to forms of snakes that are nothing more than normal animals. People need to get out and explore the country, I think you would be very surprised what you see, even in the same localities.

like I said your snake your choice.... Even if this ''ghosting'' is very common wouldn't it be possible that someone could line breed the individuals that display it more often and produce a line that displays it more then usual? you are being very narrow minded or just don't understand genetics, either way its a very old way of thinking.

Last edited:
Me being narrow minded. lol.
Mate you really do need to get out there, take a camera and see for yourself, then you just might understand the gentics of childrens alot more than you do now, and thats a fact.
No offence intened, just saying it like it is.

Well thats a silly thing to say, pretty much any colour/shade or pattern form can be line bred to produce it. Thats not rocket science its very easy if you know what your doing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back