Warning over Christmas (Snake theft)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for your loss Max... Hopefully justice is served somewhere down the line for the peolpe who did this.

It's not just Snakes though, my Grandpa used to have a pet Galah which was stolen... I think it was by a few blokes who were doing some work around the house for him at the time.

Since most of the thieves wouldnt realise maybe put an albino brownie in an easily seen box marked python??

Just what I was thinking.

I feel fore you, I too have been robed for my reptiles. But I came home durring the robbery at 10am during the week.

Since then, I have moved twice and setup security cameras all over the house, inside and out (which are linked to my phone, so once something sets them off, my phone notifies me and I can view what's happening I real time), plus a couple of other security features I can't talk about ;)

And although I would like to say "don't worry, you'll get your python back", It's very unlikely. In my case, I found the people who robbed me and who my Roughie was sold too (both just down the road from me), the police knew them very well, but was unable to do anything, due to them being under 18 and aboriginal.

I feel fore you, I too have been robed for my reptiles. But I came home durring the robbery at 10am during the week.

Since then, I have moved twice and setup security cameras all over the house, inside and out (which are linked to my phone, so once something sets them off, my phone notifies me and I can view what's happening I real time), plus a couple of other security features I can't talk about ;)

And although I would like to say "don't worry, you'll get your python back", It's very unlikely. In my case, I found the people who robbed me and who my Roughie was sold too (both just down the road from me), the police knew them very well, but was unable to do anything, due to them being under 18 and aboriginal.

so they weren't convicted but did you get your roughie back?

so they weren't convicted but did you get your roughie back?

No, the police weren't aloud to enter there property to check for my Roughie. I was unable to do anything my self, due to recently having spinal sergery, plus the guy that had my Roughie was fresh out of prison of 8 years and threatened to shoot anyone that came asking about it. Not worth the risk in my eyes.

No, the police weren't aloud to enter there property to check for my Roughie. I was unable to do anything my self, due to recently having spinal sergery, plus the guy that had my Roughie was fresh out of prison of 8 years and threatened to shoot anyone that came asking about it. Not worth the risk in my eyes.

I have learnt that loosing money to some people is actually a great investment depending on what way you look at it.

I have learnt that loosing money to some people is actually a great investment depending on what way you look at it.

I agree completely. You learn a valuable lesson at the very least.

I feel for you guys. Its a shame you guys cant even post pictures of your collections without the fear of theft. Having to install security systems just for a little piece of mind while at work is excessive, yet sadly at the same time is quickly becoming a necessity.

@RSPcarzy You sir have far more will power then I. If I found someone in the middle of robbing me I honestly cant say what I would have done. Here n California you are aloud to protect yourself and your property with lethal force.(of course within reason) And yes this law is exercised quite often. Do you guys have similar laws?

Here n California you are aloud to protect yourself and your property with lethal force.(of course within reason) And yes this law is exercised quite often. Do you guys have similar laws?
In Australia legal killing is generally restricted to the police and doesn't happen too often then. As painful as some thefts can be we dont need to go down the path of USA! A $900 python is hardly worth taking someones life.

Saying that, I would have thought you would have the right to restrain an intruder in your house until the police arrived. Does anyone know?

Not sure with some of the stupid laws it may well be false imprisonment.

For NSW transactions it is not a requirement to give out your full address, only the Suburb and Postcode are required.

Same for WA, suburb and postcode is sufficient.

- - - Updated - - -

It's also a good idea not to show boat. I've seen people with pythons out on their front lawns... "Look at me! I keep snakes. I'm so awesome!!!!" I think that is one of the stupidest things you can do. I've been in my current house 6 years and none of my neighbours know I have a python collection.

[MENTION=16366]Snowman[/MENTION], I'm the same. It's not worth the risk in my eyes. That pic you get on the lawn won't be much comfort when your collections gone.

what about victoria where can i find this out? ive had a look and cant find anything

In Victoria they insist on you supplying your address.It is for that reason I refuse to sell animals to anyone from Victoria.

In Victoria they insist on you supplying your address.It is for that reason I refuse to sell animals to anyone from Victoria.
Pretty silly when you have a license number that the authorities can use to check the full address. I'll never understand government reptile keeping regs.

I
Here n California you are aloud to protect yourself and your property with lethal force.(of course within reason) And yes this law is exercised quite often. Do you guys have similar laws?
unfortunately no , its actually the opposite alot of the time

i know a guy who lived in a bit of a ruff town and as a result of previous break ins he had started to keep a wooden cricket bat next to his bed well one night he woke up to someone breaking in through his lounge room window
he confronted him only to have the intruder turn on him , he took one big swing and collected the guy up the side of the head knocking him out
police where called and they ended up charging my mate with assault

Remember that guy that climbed up the pub drain and onto the roof then fell off and sued the pub, sometimes the law makes no sence. I was told by a cop once that if someone breaks in you can shoot them then put a round into the roof and claim you fired a warning shot and then they ran at you, somehow I don't see that standing up in court.

In Australia legal killing is generally restricted to the police and doesn't happen too often then. As painful as some thefts can be we dont need to go down the path of USA! A $900 python is hardly worth taking someones life.

I completely agree, no animal is worth a humans life imo. I think just knowing the fact that that law is in place makes people think twice. I don't condone violence, but I will protect my family and property.

unfortunately no , its actually the opposite alot of the time

i know a guy who lived in a bit of a ruff town and as a result of previous break ins he had started to keep a wooden cricket bat next to his bed well one night he woke up to someone breaking in through his lounge room window
he confronted him only to have the intruder turn on him , he took one big swing and collected the guy up the side of the head knocking him out
police where called and they ended up charging my mate with assault

That's a shame. If that happened to me the only thing I would have had to tell the police is I was afraid for my life.

That's a shame. If that happened to me the only thing I would have had to tell the police is I was afraid for my life.
i guess that once youve used something like a cricket bat that they no longer look at it as self defence , in some cases they probably would but not in his , may be because he actually wasn't hit first himself but it was only seconds away from happening

Thanks guys,

I've found a beautiful 21 month old diamond python to fill the void hopefully can pick him up tomorrow. Figure i might leave albinos for a little while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back