Taking your herps for a 'walk'

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been taking my 2.3m MD for regular walks, but every time he gets bitten by tiny black and ginger ants. They seem to be everywhere in my lawn and he always slithers straight for an ant mound. I see him twitch/flinch a few times and I'm pretty sure I've seen bites on him. I bath him after walks to hopefully get any ants off him, but of course I would rather he didn't get bitten in the first place. Has anyone else had this problem? Should I use some kind of insecticide or repellent?

I'll sometimes take one of mine out on the balcony with me and let them slither over the table and catch a bit of afternoon sun. I'm in a block of units so don't really have the ability to let them explore the shared garden

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

I'm in an apartment too, but I just take him out in the shared yard when most people are at work so as not to freak people out. I do it to try and get him to poop outside as well, so my balcony wouldn't really serve the same purpose... although maybe it'd be worthwhile if it means he doesn't get bitten.

this sounds like a good idea, glad to hear most people don't have many dramas with taking them out

Nothing wrong with taking them out on the lawn at your own residence (place of licence) But to those of you that take the reptile out and about town etc you are breaking regulations in relation to holding a licence and keeping of native wildlife. Read your licence conditions as it IS ALL WRITTEN IN PLAIN ENGLISH and you have signed agreeing to said conditions!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reminder stimi! I haven't taken mine outside my apartment complex, but was considering taking him to a park due to the ants at my place. Maybe I'll take it to my mum's place instead... after I check if that's legal under the license.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back