Crickets eating sponge

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Star_Cameron

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wondering - I bought some bulk crickets, and put them in the recommended set up, with a wet sponge for water, a carrot regularly, and some dry food. I'm finding that they are eating tiny bits of the sponge. It's not much, but just enough to be noticeable. Is this a problem? Should I scrap the sponge altogether? Are they still safe to feed to my beardie?

We stopped using the sponge for the same reason. You can buy water cubes thatare safe for them to eat. I cant imagine trace amounts would be too harmful would just depend what chemicals were used to make the sponge I assume

I might just put a really shallow dish of water in there and change it regularly. When I used to put crickets in the main tank with my beardie they never had and trouble navigating his water dish.

Also some of the sites I looked at said that just supplying regular fresh fruit/veg was enough water anyway.

Crickets will eat almost anything. The ones from Petshops around here usually eat the egg carton they shove in there. Probably not much different to the dried, old carrot they also come with :?

I've always used slices of orange. I cut them so you end up with a circular piece about 1cm thick for greater surface area for them to get to. I've also used iceberg lettuce which is mostly water content anyway. Both the orange and the lettuce the seem to love to eat as a base food for keeping them hydrated!

Hope this helps
Chris

Fresh carrot or greens negates the need for water, but a small container of water is fine. I leave a small plastic lid of water in with our geckos just in case they don't eat all the crickets. I have also found crickets "swimming" in the beardie water bowls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back