Hatchling, 7/11/13 new owner etc, when will it eat?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're overintellectualising the temperature thing, 30ish is fine, up to 33, with a bit of a drop at night. They don't have fixed temps in the bush, and don't need them in an enclosure as long as you can manage 29-33 for about 12 hours a day. I live on the mid-north coast of NSW and my Green Pythons have not had any heat, night or day, for around 6 weeks, with the exception of a couple of cooler nights. They are active at night and feeding well, even if the temps are in the low 20s.

AS far as feeding goes, these are not static animals which live sedentary lives in one place for long periods (the exception may be older animals with access to a regular food source and good shelter). They move around constantly, often on a daily basis. Generally, a healthy hatchling, placed into a tub with appropriate temps and shelter, will feed the same day you bring it home. If the temps are right and they feel secure, there is no reason for them not to eat. If you have the husbandry parameters correct, it should feed almost immediately. I have never waited for the supposed "requisite week" to elapse before offering food, and I can say that barring pre-slough conditions or having been fed very recently, most new acquisitions are keen to eat. The "waiting period" is largely a myth, but may be promoted because newbies often take a week or two to get their husbandry right. Incorrect temperature is 99% of the cause of lack of interest in food, not the "stress" of relocation - as I said earlier, relocation is something they have to accommodate throughout their lives in the wild.

My comments are predicated on the hatchy being properly established by the breeder - if you get one which hasn't been feeding well from hatch, then the breeder should tell you, otherwise you should have no problems.

Jamie

- - - Updated - - -

Just be sure that the extra activity is not because it's too hot - if it is, and the ambient temps go high in the current heat-wave, the snake will die very quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I moved the probe into the box, not next to the cord , hooray, I have steady heat and steady cool spots. Now the hard part is just letting it alone until I can feed it. It's killing me, I want to hold it, I haven't since I left the breeders!
Late afternoon it is the busiest, looking for ways out of the box. I think that's when it might be feeding time. I'll try again Sunday. ........ The wait is excruciating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

when i am trying to feed newly hatched snakes i offer food once a month, then once it has accepted the food item i offer once a fortnight and keep it at that. 37 is way too hot mate... 33 is as far as i would take the hot end, snakes can not handle overly hot temps for sustained periods.

Last edited:
After a day and half of stable temps and consistent moving habits in the arvo I offered her food yesterday afternoon and she she took it like a pro, gone in 5 minutes! Hooray for help and persistence. Thanks everyone, I am much happier now.im sure she is too!

The thermostat is set at 37 to get the inside temp to 33, the hot end, the cold end is averaging 27. I have the dual temp probes.

Our babies are twinsies! Our new spotted was hatched on 7/11 too. It ate like a champ the first time. I'm looking forward to comparing notes with you as they grow.

Our babies are twinsies! Our new spotted was hatched on 7/11 too. It ate like a champ the first time. I'm looking forward to comparing notes with you as they grow.

She/ he is eating like a champ now. Today she spent about 2 hours in my top,snuggled up warm in my bra ! Lol. It doesnt like going back to bed. I'm waiting for this shedding thing, I'm not sure how often they shed?

Wow, I just look at mine and it tries to bite me! I'm going to feed Jake on Sunday and leave it for another week, I think.

Mine shed overnight, was very exciting to find this morning. I use a metal tong to scoop under her 'neck' area then when she comes out I use my hands. If I put my hands in she s very snappy. I have fed her twice now, about 5 or 6 days apart.

Cool, wonder when we'll get a shed? Did you know she was going to? We fed yesterday, so he's just blobbing in his hide at the moment.

- - - Updated - - -

Cool, wonder when we'll get a shed? Did you know she was going to? We fed yesterday, so he's just blobbing in his hide at the moment.

I sorta thought so as she wasn't as rainbow, her eyes are so tiny I couldn't see cloudy area at all but I was shocked when I saw the skin around the water bowl. She was also very jumpy and was bumping at the walls, like she couldn't see so I had read that they can strike more.
Has yours eaten yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back