Just need some advise

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiffany

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi we hav just gotten our first Woma hatchling. When we got her we were told to leave her in a 2.5 ltr container till she was about 3 months old. We seem to think it is too small and want to move her to a bigger 5 ltr container. We have had different advise from different friends/breeders as to how the baby will act being moved. We have been told that she will stress and maybe die if moved to a bigger container. She is getting enough heat and she is eating fine with us. We just picked her up on Sunday 15th Dec and she had 2 pinkie rats on thursday without a problem. We are going away for 4 days over xmas and are planning on feeding b4 we leave so as soon as we get back we will feed again. The temps are staying between 30 to 33 degrees on the warm end and the cooler end is (dropping to the lowest we have had is 24 of a night time) about 27 to 29 during the day. She is very active and curious, as whenever we open the container to either change the paper towel or water she always comes out to say hi and doesn't seem stressed to us. Is there any problem moving her before we leave to go away?? or should we wait till we get back?? or should we move her and feed at the same time to get her used to the new container quicker??
Any help would be appreciated

She be fine to move to a 7lt sistema tub.. Sounds like she not stressed... 1 bit of advice I would do is the last feed would be a week before u go away... Then she will do her bussiness before u go leaving a clean environment whilst u not there... She will be ok for a while without food till u get back....my only wry with small tubs is if they urinate on the paper the tub can fog up abit making high humidity

is high humidity bad for them and how can I stop this in a plastic container?? We have holes in the lid and are looking at putting holes in the container itself. Where we live it is hot but not too much humidity and we are finding that the container is fogging up a bit.

Put some holes about middle of warm end and holes up high at cool end... Put quite a few if it's fogging ... This should stop it.... Also make sure its a small water bowl so humidity don't get to high

Thanks for that will try and get it done before we go away. We just put a bigger water bowl in so that could b the problem aswel so will try and find a smaller on :)

Who gave you the advice she would die if moved? If snakes curled up and died every time they were in an unfamiliar environment they would have gone extinct a long time ago. ;)

All my hatchies have gone into 7L sistema click clacks when I bring them home. I have had no problems feeding them on the first night of the move and then letting them settle in.

If you are only going away for 4 days then that is fine, you don't even need to get someone to change the water. Feeding around 20% of body weight or 1.5 x the thickest part of them every 5-7 days is more than enough for a hatchling.

If it is fogging up add more holes in the top lid down at the cool end. Make sure the water bowl is kept at the cool end. My first hatchy just had a vegemite jar lid as his water bowl that filled each day.

We have done the extra holes and will see over the next few days what happens. We also put the smaller water bowl back in so hopefully this will help aswel. Thank you for your advice and will keep you updated on progress :)

My only advice other than moving it to a 7lt Systema would be "when you go away because you are using a plastic tub move the lot to the bath or bathroom floor just in case of temp spikes and possible fire risks" also add a bigger water container just in case it tries to knock it over, a click clack full of spilt water is not a good humidity recipe. :) .................Ron

It would be prudent not to alter the cage arrangements until you return. There is no urgency in doing so if your snake is not stressed at the moment. The reason why people will advise against a large enclosure for hatchlings is that in nature, hatchling snakes are on the menu of pretty much every larger animal. The use of several hides can overcome the stress of feeling exposed in a large, empty space. Redfox has provided excellent advice well worth utilising.

Blue

Is the heat mat on a thermostat? I'd just make sure there is no risk of fire, I like the idea of putting it in the bathroom or on a tiled surface somewhere to reduce the risk, and I'd (personally) leave it till you came back to make the changeover to a bigger tub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back