Keeping Blue tongue skink in an out door rabbit enclosure?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cinnamonmybluey

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was just wondering if it is possible to keep my Bluey in an outdoor rabbit enclosure during summer and spring. Before people say this is a stupid idea I have thought about everything I think.

1. I have and eastern Bluey and she is the native species from where I live so temperature is no problem.
2. She is three and will come inside every night and if its to hot or cold rainy ect...
3. She will be in the enclosure for about eight hours a day. This will give her heaps of UV!
4. It will be secure with 1cm cube mesh on the bottom so she cant burrow out.
5. The area the cage will be located is fenced from dogs and cats. The roof will also be fully enclosed.

I was thinking about ones such as these!
suzyda6a.jpg
tu9asu7u.jpg
mu7uvume.jpg

Just want to know every thing that could go wrong so she is safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will probably find that your Bluie will rub its nose raw on the wire they use for those.

You will probably find that your Bluie will rub its nose raw on the wire they use for those.

Actually my store sells that bottom one and the wire is a solid construction that is coated in the smooth black coating. My only issue would be it getting out.

Actually my store sells that bottom one and the wire is a solid construction that is coated in the smooth black coating. My only issue would be it getting out.

True. But unless you have a fully grown bluetongue you may have an issue keeping your Bluie contained
In there.

yeah I am going to have to go with the 1cm cubes but I like the design of that one :)

- - - Updated - - -

yeah Im going to get one with bird wire 1cmcubes even the the bottom.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems like my only problem now is her rubbing her nose.. she is full grown but Bleuys push through things so she will not be getting the larger wire. Does any one have ideas for the rubbing..

- - - Updated - - -

sorry to go on but the design on the top does any one think a blue tongue will be able to climb their chubby body up that. (I might have to build a less steap one for her?)

yeah I am going to have to go with the 1cm cubes but I like the design of that one :)

- - - Updated - - -

yeah Im going to get one with bird wire 1cmcubes even the the bottom.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems like my only problem now is her rubbing her nose.. she is full grown but Bleuys push through things so she will not be getting the larger wire. Does any one have ideas for the rubbing..

- - - Updated - - -

sorry to go on but the design on the top does any one think a blue tongue will be able to climb their chubby body up that. (I might have to build a less steap one for her?)

Your Bluie shouldn't have an issue climbing the ramp. It also won't have an issue trying to climb the wire on the sides, I know mine would give it a go.

Why not build a good quality outdoor pit?

Just a suggestion to stop her rubbing her nose, you could pin some sheet plastic or shade cloth in place about a foot from the ground.
Or as Fractal_man said, you could make a neat pit enclosure out of some steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back