When to move food size up?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ellab1ack

Not so new Member
Reaction score
About when do you move a hatchling up from pinkies to fuzzies? Is there signs to look for when a pinky is no longer enough?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Next time you feed it a pinky have a look at the size of the bulge in it belly, if its nice and noticable then its still good to feed it on that size if you can harldy see the bulge upgrade the size.
what species is it and how old is it?

Caleb.

It's a spotted python, I fed her the first time on Fri after picking her up Sunday, she was due to be fed that day but refused till Friday. She is 7 weeks old. Her belly bulge wasn't very much at all and isn't visible hardly at all today. I wondered if I should offer her food again Monday, then if she wants it I was going to try fuzzies next time?

Feeding every 5 to 7 days is appropriate for the first year or so. It is easier to feed every 7 days as you do so on the same day of the week. Should it be reluctant to take a fuzzy just yet, then feed it two pinkies at a meal for a while and then try fuzzies. If you have sensitive weighting scales, a meal that is anywhere between 5% and 20% of the snake’s bodyweight is adequate. Most people feed in the range of 15% to 20% - a little over or under is not a drama.

Blue

I feed my snake 14 time on one size e.g pinkies and on the 15 and 16 time ill double the feed if the snake feed ok ill go to the next size until i get to the full size food i need them on e.g adult mice or rats. I will only go up in size if the snake feed 2 time in a row on the double feeds.

I feed my snake 14 time on one size e.g pinkies and on the 15 and 16 time ill double the feed if the snake feed ok ill go to the next size until i get to the full size food i need them on e.g adult mice or rats. I will only go up in size if the snake feed 2 time in a row on the double feeds.
This sounds a little to regimented but might be good as a guide. I use Blue's method and weigh my snakes and feed 15-20% of their bodyweight whilst they are growing and roughly every 7 days for the first year then every fortnight for the next year and then once a month. I also brumate my snakes that are over twelve months old. All of this is only a guide and I also judge by the snakes behaviour and , shedding , growth (weight and length) rate and condition as indicators as well. The longer that you keep snakes for the more in touch with the indicators and you can move more away from the formula.

Great, I'll weigh her today. She's in busy mode so I'll give her some out time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back