Just been burnt.....assistance required please.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptalica

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I recently within the last week posted an ad on Reptile Downunder Classifieds or more commonly known as RDU looking for one or two female Boyd's Forest Dragons, preferably of juvenile or adult age.

I had someone contact me within 24 hours saying that they had two available and that they would happily sell for $625 including freight.

I transferred the funds on a Sunday night here in Melbourne and normally one would expect it to go in overnight however due to it being a weekend this didn't take place and was believed to have gone into the recipient's account on the Tuesday. Between the Sunday and Tuesday I was under a reasonable amount of pressure from the seller to even go to the bank and perform the transaction. As I had already done this I was reluctant to go into the bank to transfer another $600 odd.

The week drew to a close, last Friday and after a return of text messages etc I was asked which flight and when would I like to receive the animals. I detailed this to the seller.

Still nothing. Here I sit, money transferred and nothing to show for it.

What I do know is this person banks at the same bank as us. I know his first and last name as well as his partner's first and last name as the money was transferred into her account.

I know the first thing most will think was verifying the credibility of the seller, -1 to me.

If anyone knows of this happening what forms of redress has been chosen to have the situation rectified.

This person has even provided their licence details and address.

The reason I haven't named and shamed is because the person may be a member of this forum and in no way would I like to mention this "person's name" and APS in the same sentence.

I would also like to ask are there regular scammers around the traps that pull off these kind of stunts??

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

You should always ask around to verify the reliability of anyone who is taking your money. That's not to say that you've been done - it's a hectic time of the year and not a good time to expect people to run on time. It's always easy to keep in contact for reassurance though.

Jamie

The only form of redress that you have if it was a bank transfer is to start a disputed transaction claim with your bank, but as Jamie has said this is a hectic time for everyone and a few more days is not going to make much difference if it was a scammer but could make all the difference if it is a rightious transaction that is being held up because of the silly season. This is another reason i will only use PayPal for online transactions, coz if you get ripped off they are pretty good at getting your money back. :) .........................Ron

I would be reluctant to ask for animals to be freighted at this time of year.there is a much higher chance that they could get lost. Wait another week or so when it is quieter and hopefully cooler. As for being scammed I think for $600 you would have to put it down to experience or if you are chasing principles lodge a statement of claim with the local court.

Just been burn't.....assistance required please.

Sorry to hear you're being given the run around. If they intended to rip you off of your hard earned and not supply the animal, it is surprising that they stayed in contact/gave you so many details (if I were ripping people off I'd disappear as soon as I had my hands on the cash).

If they have stopped returning calls or messages now you could follow Wokka's advice and lodge a claim possibly?

There are plenty of "pay me first and I'll ship later" scammers as far as I can tell.

Best of luck whichever way you go.

:)

firstly you should take your receipts back to the bank and ask them to see if the money has indeed been deposited or not and if it has maybe they might tell you if its been taken out or not, either way ask them how you go about getting it back

if its been deposited and taken out i would also let him know your aware of this information and would appreciate either the reptiles sent to you or a refund within a certain period of time remembering everywhere is busy right now and that if nothing happens you will escalate the dispute

keep and print off ALL correspondence, including whats on your phone as proof you paid it

also if he still doesnt send you the reptiles and doesnt refund the money maybe report him to the people who handle the licenses in Victoria, its also possible the number and address he has given you is fake or belongs to someone else...too many people put their license numbers in ads which in turn can be 'stolen' and used by others to sell illegal animals

good luck, i really hope you either get the reptiles or your money back

It's only been a couple of days since last Friday, a lot of people are on holidays this week and possibly out of reception. While they should let you know it's only early days and I would still hold out hope of receiving your animals.

Thanks all for the great advice.....and here I was leaving myself open to get flamed for making a silly error of judgement. Kind of nice to know the forumites thinking "ahhh no need to read him the riot act". Its not going to change anything and once u have a bad experience very rarely is it likely to happen again.

For sure it is the silly season and maybe for me to be a tad patient but to not even reply to a message nor follow up with me regarding "supposed transportation" begs the question.

I withheld the name again because I didnt want to associate the name with this forum.

I'm pretty sure someone on here would know the person and I ask if there is someone who u know who is "into this kind of deceiving" then PM me.

I can only confirm or deny the person's details.

**Oh and a final point for now....I am going to play this the nice way and explore all avenues until there are no other options then..........

Last edited:
Good luck mate. Hopefully you get what you paid for and it is just a mix up with the Xmas season.

When it's beyond all doubt you have been scammed, if I were you, I would name and shame this person, on here and on that other forum associated with RDU. That way, other people won't get scammed as well. Maybe even contact the state permit authority his permit comes under; they might consider that enough to cancel his permit. And good luck with getting your money back.

Thanks guys. Yeah I have always been for the name and shame, however I am very much an advocate for giving someone a reasonable chance to either explain or produce and as I mentioned above I will continue along that path until I know otherwise and then I will go to plan "B".

I just hope for his sake that he produces as I would hate for this to get ugly. :twisted:

Oh and I just them a Merry Christmas message via text.

Tis is the season to be happy and merry is it not???? *sarcasm at its best*

Last edited:
I recently within the last week posted an ad on Reptile Downunder Classifieds or more commonly known as RDU looking for one or two female Boyd's Forest Dragons, preferably of juvenile or adult age.

I had someone contact me within 24 hours saying that they had two available and that they would happily sell for $625 including freight.

I transferred the funds on a Sunday night here in Melbourne and normally one would expect it to go in overnight however due to it being a weekend this didn't take place and was believed to have gone into the recipient's account on the Tuesday. Between the Sunday and Tuesday I was under a reasonable amount of pressure from the seller to even go to the bank and perform the transaction. As I had already done this I was reluctant to go into the bank to transfer another $600 odd.

The week drew to a close, last Friday and after a return of text messages etc I was asked which flight and when would I like to receive the animals. I detailed this to the seller.

Still nothing. Here I sit, money transferred and nothing to show for it.

What I do know is this person banks at the same bank as us. I know his first and last name as well as his partner's first and last name as the money was transferred into her account.

I know the first thing most will think was verifying the credibility of the seller, -1 to me.

If anyone knows of this happening what forms of redress has been chosen to have the situation rectified.

This person has even provided their licence details and address.

The reason I haven't named and shamed is because the person may be a member of this forum and in no way would I like to mention this "person's name" and APS in the same sentence.

I would also like to ask are there regular scammers around the traps that pull off these kind of stunts??

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

first of all welcome to the hobby lol. second you might want to check that the money went into the right account, It has happen to me where someone was buying an animal off me but put in the wrong number for the transfer, problem is that the person who received the money doesn't have to give it back and they had to take them to court to get it back. I think you were opening yourself up as a target by putting up a wanted add, big neon sign to scammers.

Honestly mate just find him and flog him and take your money back plus some of his for the trouble, ruining his rep wont get your money back.

Honestly mate just find him and flog him and take your money back plus some of his for the trouble, ruining his rep wont get your money back.

LOL Newhere = I agree with the first bit mate and well I'm normally a nice person and usually cut people some slack but with regards to his rep? Well if it mean that others on here don't get burnt then I'll continue to do it.

I thought aps members would be all for it.....I know I would go out of my way to help someone in a similar situation to mine. Guaranteed.

unfortunately there is a no name and shame policy on aps, if you could pm me his\her name so i never have to deal with them i would appreciate it.

How about that hey a no name and shame policy on APS.

Ok well hopefully enough have seen it now.

For those that want this cretin's name please PM me and I am more than happy to provide details.

YES I have the name of the person and I reckon some on here may know who he is.

Yea I understand you're just trying to stop it from happening to other people but I wouldn't just leave it at that if somebody ripped me off.

Pm me those names too I'll give em a serve on facebook next time I'm on.

Last edited:
Ok the latest is I can confirm that this person is known to APS, and respectfully the no name and shame policy applies, although with this particular individual it is not allegedly anymore......he has burnt many on this forum and no doubt in other walks of life.

I have perused a couple of threads about his actions and who he has burnt.

If anyone would like to throw some names and locations at me I would only be too pleased to assist.

PM away peeps.

Time to stop someone else being the victim and being bullied by this individual who works in tandem with his "so-called" wife.

We have to help each other and will require a community effort.

** I have attached a couple of closed threads pertaining to this same dog**

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/beware-202792/

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/lts-bit-sad-comes-164666/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back