Snake on train sparks police warning

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand that furred animals are only allowed on certain carriages because of allergies. The water taxi's that travel to the Moreton bay islands allow dogs to travel on them.

I'd be concerned about allowing any old 'pet' on transport. Most will all agree that a boxed python is harmless, but where do you draw the line? Can I take my pet crocodile? Or pet fish in a bucket? How about my goat?

Absurd suggestions I know, but people do absurd things all the time. I assume they keep it so restricted so as to avoid any issues all together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have traveled on Melb. trains many times with new geckos and sometimes with enclosures I have bought with them, never had a problem.
I use to take my dog to work with me every week for nearly 10mths (rottweiler X pitbull) with no dramas. Although he did freak some people out sitting on a seat next to me. Had the the gray coats give me a second look but never asked for a ticket(for either of us and they never questioned his feet on the seat :) )

QUENSLAND Police have issued a warning about pets on trains after officers intercepted a man with a snake on one rail service.
mf.gif

|-
|
|
|-

00zS7VPYK-M

Published On: 22-Dec-13 06:02 PM
Source: via NEWS.com.au

Go to Original Article
Here in Sydney we don't have those kind of issues on trains. Police are ok with all sorts of animals so long as they are in a locked box, bag or container and are not loose, at least this is what it needs to be according to the Railway Safety Act. The only animals allowed loose are working poolice dogs, guide dogs and companion animals with a photo ID license.

Brought my first snake home on a Qld train after the reptile club meeting I bought her at was at the Qld Museum. This was back in '95 so Im not sure on the rules back then.

i live in sydney, i dont drive i get public transport everywhere so i dont have a choice have to take my snakes on the train,they are always in a click-clack which most of the time are then put into a bag...i get a bit worried that i will get rolled by some idiot on train and he takes my snake..lol....just pull the bloody thing out and the idiot would crap himself lol....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks [MENTION=35366]RedFox[/MENTION] for the Victorian Rules. While we're here, It seems pertinent to point out the Sydney Trains rules too:

From Animals and pets - Sydney Trains :

Animals are not permitted to travel on Sydney Trains, except for:

assistance animals trained to assist passengers with a disability
assistance animals in training
police and security dogs.

[MENTION=34043]smileysnake[/MENTION] and [MENTION=29286]Serpentaria[/MENTION], it doesn't say anywhere that you're allowed to have animals in containers. You might want to make sure no passengers are able to see that it's a snake (and avoid mentioning it). I'd be extremely surprised if you got a fine for having an animal in a carry case, be it cat, rabbit or snake... But It seems to be technically against the rules.

Refer to the original article:
"Although the harmless python was appropriately boxed and the authorised owner was returning from a veterinarian appointment, it is still an offence to travel with an animal on a train"

I use a toaster box. In good nick and with air holes on one side. Transits or cops appear the air holes face me. They've never asked to look in my box ;-)

[MENTION=2185]Ramy[/MENTION] I've been travelling on the trains and using the services for about 30 years, I know the rules and the loopholes as well as the things the cops won't bother with and carrying animals in a box or cage that is either concealed or locked/closed is something they don't bother with and they also encourage train staff to tell people this. I always have to go and pick my snakes up at the airport from freight or buy from prospective buyers if I can get to them by train and I have never had an issue with any police on the train, even when I have had an animal in an airated box when its clear what it is and can be seen, the unwritten rule is that so long as its in a box or cage and can be classified as carry luggage and its not taken out then no one will bother about it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like you didn't know what was going on. I used to catch Sydney Trains and didn't know it was a rule. It seemed worth mentioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back