IBD I think my jungle might have it

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

king905au

Reaction score
Hi all I have a few concerns about my jungle and the soonest I can get her to a vet is Monday, she is showing signs of ibd stargazing and turning upside down like she is drunk, she is not her normal self she is normally a little flighty, but she is very calm and doesn't flinch much at all to touch.
I had a chat to the vet and she seemed to think it doesn't sound good and said it could possibly be ibd, the thing is I have no idea how she would have been effected, there has been no new additions to my collection for over 3 years and there has never been any contact with other snakes.
Anyway please send your thoughts or any ideas you might have.
Cheers

That is something that the vet mentioned but she is in a 2m by a meter wide enclosure so there isn't any chance of her getting to hot she would just move to a cooler spot

IBD is far less common than Sunshine Virus, which presents in much the same way. I think these viral things can be dormant for years sometimes before symptoms begin to show.

I hope you have some good news, although definite diagnosis is only possible following death.

Jamie

she is a jungle but why would that make any difference, also how would I know if it the Sunshine Virus and not idb what are the symptoms of the Sunshine Virus she is now on the bottom of her enclosure and just rolling her head up and back without much control

Last edited by a moderator:
The symptoms of these viruses and the neuro issues sometimes experienced by Jags may be confused. I don't think that there is a test for IDB until the snake has passed. Either Sunshine or IBD is usually fatal as there is no cure.

Is it possible that it could of took a fall?

she is a jungle but why would that make any difference, also how would I know if it the Sunshine Virus and not idb what are the symptoms of the Sunshine Virus she is now on the bottom of her enclosure and just rolling her head up and back without much control

Jags sometimes have neuro issues which present as you have suggested. I also once had a snake that a room mate of mine sprayed with industrial pesticide that died showing the same symptoms.

ok she is really not doing well she is in knots and upside down in the bottom of her enclosure and not being able to get her looked at till Monday I want to know if she would be in pain or uncomfortable I was thinking of putting her down myself I think it would be the best thing for her

Sorry to hear mate, not sure on what the best option here is but want to pass on my condolences. Also how would you euthanise the snake yourself?

Can I ask why I thought it would be better than taking her head off

Reptiles have a slow metabolism so CO2 is not a good choice.
Best method is to place in a plastic bag in the fridge until it becomes motionless and then place the bag in the freezer. If you want to have an autopsy on the animal only leave it in the fridge and don't freeze it as they usually prefer animals which haven't been frozen. Sorry for your loss by the way

C02 can take a while, as suggested..freezing is not any better, slow and painful. Hammer blow to the head is the way to go.

I believe the freezer is very painful as well and can damage the cells that are required for a necropsy. Blunt force trauma is the best way if you do not have access to a vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back