Learning the signs of a pre shed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ellab1ack

Not so new Member
Reaction score
From what I have read I am looking for a milky look to the eyes, maybe more of a tendency to hide, perhaps a pinkish belly? Any other things that you would add?
I have only had my spotted 10 days and the breeder mentioned that a sibling was about to shed so I have been watching. Do I need anymore humidity in QLD! Just the water bowl is enough?
It is so wonderful now that she/ he is happy to be handled, should I leave her a few days after a shed in case of being sensitive new skin?
Thanks for your views. I really appreciate the learning from experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you think your little one is going into a shed. Then avoid unnecessary handling. After the shed give it a feed, leave it for another 2 days then handle. Other signs are refusing food and you may or may not notice its skin will look darker. But you'll definitely be able to notice the milky eyes. Make sure you have something in the enclosure for it to use to remove the skin. (fake vines, logs and rocks.) I personally have a small piece of sandstone in my enclosures for that purpose.

As for humidity you will be fine. Just avoid unnecessary stress on your little friend.

Avoid handling leading up to shed but once it's shed the snake is fine to be held. The skin is fully formed and hardy. Your humidity should be ok depending on the setup. If the skin comes off in one piece everything is fine. If it's a bit patchy and in bits consider upping the humidity next time. As well as the milky eyes you have mentioned look for the whole body dulling/darkening. Also the snake will generally feel vulnerable and may become defensive and touchy.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
Just be aware that not all animals follow the rules. Some will eat normally when shedding.
ejugavap.jpg

The red is not so much from shedding in this picture but the blood rush that my diamond gets when it gets food. It has something to do with getting ready for the skin to stretch I believe.

Last edited:
I absolutely love that photo Andy. Wish I could catch my guys mid shed. I always find myself finding my guys just after they get the shed off.

It usually happens seven days after the blue eyes for this snake and is spot on and also happens around the same time of night , just after it gets dark while it is still warm and it explores the enclosure.
I was expecting it to happen and was thinking that it would have happened by feeding time but hadn't so I fed it anyway as I had stuff to do.
Just happens that the feed started the shed off and it finished the rabbit and shed in one piece with a little difficulty around the bulge.

6arydu6e.jpg

She obviously isn't ready to shed yet, munch down the feed like a champion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always seem to be surprised by my Bredli shedding but my Spotted gets really dull and milky a few days before he sheds

Some Things to look for.
-Milky Eyes
-Faded and Rough Scales
-Pink Ventral Scales (Belly)
-Some Pythons go off Food and some become pigs to build up their energy

Also, Around a day or two before your Python Sheds she will begin to look normal again, do not handle during this time and mist her and her tank daily until complete.

Some Things to look for.
-Milky Eyes
-Faded and Rough Scales
-Pink Ventral Scales (Belly)
-Some Pythons go off Food and some become pigs to build up their energy

Also, Around a day or two before your Python Sheds she will begin to look normal again, do not handle during this time and mist her and her tank daily until complete.
A very good guide but IMO there is no need to spray the enclosure if the snake is well hydrated. It was something that I did the first few times with my first snake as a cautious keeper but I have found that the only bad bad sheds that I get now is sometimes if they are close to shed when I first get a snake which I put down to either not being hydrated from the previous owner or the stress of moving. I change the water in all of my snakes every second day and also feed my snakes wet prey items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back