Darwin Python and R.I

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iamstib

Reaction score
Hey guys, im kinda worried about my Darwin.. Shes about 4 years old and she got a R.I so ive been taking her to the vet. Shes had 5 shots and i went to take her today and she has been really lifeless and keeps yawning. im talking every 2-3 mins she yawns? Sometimes quicker... Help anyone?
Im in blacktown NSW

keep taking her to the vet, the reason she is yawning is because she is finding it difficult to breathe. she needs at least 10 shots of baytril and you should bump her temp up to around 32-34 i would say the infection is fairly well involved and you need to watch her carefully over the next 10 days or so.

ask your vet to take and culture swabs or do a tracheal wash, to identify the exact type of bacteria/infection and the correct treatment to combat it

cheers shaun

Baytril is not often used these days. Fortum seems to be drug of choice for most of the common infections we see in snakes nowadays. It may be that she won't stop yawning until after the snake has shed, if the nostrils are blocked with dry mucus. It is also likely that she will shed fairly soon after treatment.

If the treatment seems not to be working however, Shaun's suggestion that a swab be taken for a more specific antibiotic selection is the way to go.

Jamie

ask your vet to take and culture swabs or do a tracheal wash, to identify the exact type of bacteria/infection and the correct treatment to combat it

cheers shaun

This. This This This.

imo culture and sensitivity tests should be done before commencement of any antibiotic treatment. Leave it too late and the antibiotics (even if not effective) can interfere with the success of the test.

Stomatitis ???? if he/she is constantly mouth stretching/yawning this condition is commonly called (mouth rot)..... my "suggestion" have a close look at her gums and jaw area for redness and possibly even mucus solar 17 (Baden)

i took her for another injection and they the vet gave me baytril to put in her mouth daily (not a fan of doing it cuz i feel like shes gonna hate me lol) but seems to be working... no more yawning, still a bit wheezy sounding but im only at day 3 of 10.
Thanks for all the help gents.. i might take her to the reptile vet in south penrith just to get her a overall check up

i took her for another injection and they the vet gave me baytril to put in her mouth daily (not a fan of doing it cuz i feel like shes gonna hate me lol) but seems to be working... no more yawning, still a bit wheezy sounding but im only at day 3 of 10.
Thanks for all the help gents.. i might take her to the reptile vet in south penrith just to get her a overall check up

Baytril is a broad range antibiotic,imo its much better to have swabs cultured or a tracheal wash done,to identify the exact problem and correct treatment, rather than just throwing a broad range antibiotic at it.....

re oral baytril
i have found the easiest way to administer the baytril, is with a syringe and an infant baby feeding tube, cut to the correct size

any vet should be able to supply the syringe and infant feeding tube for a few dollars

the tube is for human babys,you cut the tube so that it goes far enough back the snakes throat,to put the meds into the stomach, and not have it come back out the mouth (adult carpets i cut the tube to 7 or 8 inches)

i load the syringe with meds attatch the tube and push the meds up till it reaches the end of the tube...

insert the tube into the snakes throat...

then push the meds through into the snake,once the med syringe is empty,i take it off and replace it with a syringe full of water,i use this to push any left over meds in the tube,down into the snake

i found it easier to have 2 people to do this method

one person holds the snake down on a hard flat surface...

with one hand,they should hold the snake behind the head right where it joins the neck,this will stop the snake throwing a bend in its neck,when you insert the tube

the other hand should be placed a little further down the body,holding the body,neck and head in a straight line

this will leave you both hands free to open the mouth and gently slide the tube far enough back the throat,to stop the meds coming back up and out the mouth

i have found after you repeat the treatment 2 or 3 times,the snake tends to relax more and let you get on with it

re blocked nostrils
a quick soak in a warm bath holding the snakes head under water for 20 to 30 seconds,usually softens the mucas and unblocks,the nostrils

if its only 1 nostril thats blocked,after submerging the snakes head,put a finger tip over the unblocked nostril,this causes the snake to breath through the blocked nostril, causing it to blow out the mucas unblocking the nostril

just watch for air bubbles coming out the unblocked nostril,at first you will only get the odd air bubble or two coming out the blocked nostril,once you repeat the process a few times and the nostril becomes clear,you will get a strong flow of air bubbles coming out and you will know the nostrils now unblocked and clear

you may have to keep submerging the head for 20,30,40,etc seconds at a time,until the blockage starts to clear up,at first there may be little or no air coming out the blocked nostril,try massaging the nostril with your finger tip until the mucas softens and breaks up,i have found once you get 3 or 4 air bubbles coming out,a few more head submerges and the nostril completely unblocks

just be observant and use common sense when using this method

cheers shaun

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back