Carpet python substrate?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryderthefrog

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, yesterday I was at the Healsville wildlife sanctuary own in Melbourne and I noticed in a lot of their reptile enclosures they just had leaves and twigs and what looks like very natural substrate. See pics.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I was wondering if that's safe and where I would get it for my carpet pythons If not just from my backyard. And would I need to wash them? And how would I wash them? I obviously wouldn't be feeding them on it incase they digest it or anything but just for a natural look I think it looks awesome.

What are your thought?

thanks.

Cant go past butchers paper or newspaper.
The only reason zoos etc use a more natural substraight is for the publics benefit NOT for the snakes benefit.

To clean the leaf litter they spray with F10 and leave in the sun for a few hours.

Yes I quite often find lizards and snakes nestled in disregarded sheets of newspaper in their natural environment.

There is no reason it cannot be utilised as a substrate so long as you are using native tree leaves that are dead and dried. It will however, take a bit more effort to ensure you get rid of all wastes deposited in it. As it may contain invertebrates, which will not trouble the snake but are unwelcome inside the house the house, spread it out thinly in the sun on a concrete or paved surface for a day to get rid of any resident wildlife. Putting it on shade cloth makes it very easy to collect.

Basically, it requires more effort to collect, prepare and remove wastes than other substrates but other than that there is no reason it cannot be used.

Blue

Sorry to hijack the threat but while on the subject of natural looking substrates. Is cocopeat suitable as a sub for snakes or is it harmful?

Coco peat, also known as coir, is derived from the outer husk of coconuts. Unadulterated it makes for an excellent substrate for many reptiles. It is normally sold in dehydrated compressed ‘bricks’. Some are sold as pure coir while other similar products have added chemicals for the garden. You simply need to check the product labelling to ensure that the product you purchase does not have fertiliser and/or other chemicals added to it.

Using hot water will speed up hydrating it. To remove the excess moisture, place it in a towel or piece of shade cloth, wrap the middle over post or picket in a fence or similar, then twist the ends around together as far as you can and then stretch the twisted material as far as you can. Repeat once more and it will be ready to go.

Blue

Thanks mate! I got some chemical free cocopeat left over from my tarantula enclosures and thought it would be put to good use in my snake enclosures. I have asked all around and no one could tell me if it's safe for snakes. Thanks a bunch!

How can a completely natural substrate NOT be for the animal's benefit compared to a completely manufactured material? I'd say that the paper option is more for the handler's / keeper's benefit (convenience) than the natural option. But, that's just me. I could be wrong!

How can a completely natural substrate NOT be for the animal's benefit compared to a completely manufactured material? I'd say that the paper option is more for the handler's / keeper's benefit (convenience) than the natural option. But, that's just me. I could be wrong!
The benefits are for the animal as well and that is why if a reptile is sick or injured that it best to move it onto a paper substrate. The paper harbours less bacteria , cannot be ingested , cannot damage the reptiles skin in anyway.

I can see the benefits of newspaper but we use Aspen Chips from the shop we got the Stimmie from. Looks great & easy to clean up. I do however have newspaper in the tub i use for the Bredli when i'm cleaning her house & same for the Stimmie. I like the look of the chips & would like to think the snakes like the feel, they haven't complained anyway.

Far from newspaper being for the benefit of the keeper it is used so much because it works well which benefits the animal.It is way more hygenic than any type of loose substrate as it forces the keeper to do a complete clean as soon as it is fouled as opposed to spot cleans which other substrates encourage.

The big difference is that in the wild reptiles are not forced to lay in their waste like they are from being stuck in a box.

Far from newspaper being for the benefit of the keeper it is used so much because it works well which benefits the animal.It is way more hygenic than any type of loose substrate as it forces the keeper to do a complete clean as soon as it is fouled as opposed to spot cleans which other substrates encourage.

The big difference is that in the wild reptiles are not forced to lay in their waste like they are from being stuck in a box.

I agree with everything but would like to add something on the laying in waste. I know that I have found a lot of carpet pythons in roof spaces living in their own excriment.

I agree with everything but would like to add something on the laying in waste. I know that I have found a lot of carpet pythons in roof spaces living in their own excriment.

Perhaps but I bet they wouldn't be laying in it when it was soft wet and stinky as opposed to being so dry it was like a rock.

Paper also provides the perfect hide for most snakes. They love it.
Leaves etc long term, just adds a much higher risk to harm your animals in a number of different ways that paper does not.
Boils down to if you want to do the best thing for your snakes, or something that may look a bit better. simple.

I use dust free pine shavings comes vac sealed in a cube, it looks pretty nice, and its super easy to clean

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk

I might get some criticism but I find the paper pellet kitty litter works for me, 2 years and no problems, I use 50mm thick and find it allows spot cleaning without disturbing the snakes and dose not stick to the floor when wet like news paper, I never feed inside the enclosure so no risk of ingesting any pallets, it may dry the humidity a bit but Bredli like a dryer environment anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back