Diamond left her eggs?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris1

cupcake
Reaction score
Yesterday morning I found my diamond laying, i was planning on leaving them with her, so she stayed wrapped around her eggs (about 17, all look good) till about 20 mins ago when i went to check on her, she came out of her laying box, proceeded to climb me and demand to be taken out to the aviary.

Ive taken her outside and she seems to be enjoying herself, but im not sure if she'll want the eggs back later this afternoon or if i should incubate them.

thoughts?

Thanks,

Chris.

Females will sometimes leave their eggs for heat and water, in most instances they go back to them and they're fine. I've only once had a female that left them and didn't go back. I would avoid touching her and don't disturb her. The eggs won't dry out or die immediately if left alone.

Thanks No-two, unfortunately i have already moved her outside, i'll bring her back in when she finishes basking and hope she takes them back,...

i would leave a heat pad in the enclosure that the eggs are in set on 30 degrees and keep it on constantly, so when her temperature drops too much she can heat up without having to go outside and leave her eggs.

Give her access to heat around 27-28C 24/7, just a little lower than the incubating temperature. It will reduce the amount of energy she uses to keep them at her own incubating temperature. Keep lots of damp newspaper in the enclosure to keep the humisity high.

Jamie

Thanks! Heats on, great idea with the damp newspaper! :p

Even better go to bunnings and buy some spagnum moss and put a bowl/tray of it wet in the enclosure to keep humdity up. When it starts to dry out wet it again and bob's ur uncle humidity levels will stay higher than they are now and it wont grow mould either.

she seems kinda over it, leaves her eggs for the day light hours, last night i put her back on them, she dutifully wrapped around them but didnt bother shuddering, egg temps measured between 24 and 26.4 last night, before that she was keeping them at 30.4.
Crack of dawn she was off them and wanting to go outside.
so i put her eggs in the inc and fed her.

shes happily curled up outside, doesnt seem to miss her eggs, she certainly isnt looking for them!!

I thought lady snakes were meant to be protective of their eggs, Bella must be a bad mum!!

I have a female that laid about 5-6weeks ago and hasn't left her eggs once that I have noticed. Maybe she doesn't feel the enclosure is set up correctly for her as she is constantly seeking heat or something (not sure what, is she basking a lot ?). Otherwise she might just be a bad mum, taking them was probably best. Good luck with the incubation.

THanks. :)

I think she just hates being indoors, she wasnt even basking when she left her eggs, just trying to get out of the enclosure. (its her regular winter/digesting/extended bad weather enclosure, so she is very much at home in there)

IM happy either way, i was leaving the eggs with her since ive read about females stressing about having their eggs removed, and i didnt want her to stress.

could it be that she felt she didnt have the body condition to see the incubation through? Shes pretty thin,.....but i expect most snakes would be if they lay around 1/3 of their body mass in eggs,....

I couldn't say about the condition. I've not done it enough to really comment as I normally take the eggs. I wouldn't think a female will put herself in such a situation that she is at her ends for condition and other essentials. However captive animals tend to be much larger (better fat stores due to consistent and regimented feeding) than wild animals and they do it successfully enough.

Who knows, if a female appears stressed after taking her eggs a quick bath and clean of the enclosure will get rid of the smell and she will soon go back to being 'normal'.

Thanks No-two.
Shes thin, but not overly thin, its not like you can see ribs or anything. i guess shes just not maternal, shes a bad snake mum!! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back