Jungle with yellow underbelly turning PINK!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aztec

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
Never seen it before, can't find anything on it, does anyone have any experience or information on this?
ive also noticed he's rubbing both sides of his face, much more than any other time, could this be related? this is the first time for us in the tropics and we are coming into the wet season.
Should I be concerned? Everything else seems normal besides.

i personally haven't got jungles but almost all of my pythons get a pink belly before they shed especially my 3 spotted pythons
I've also seen it with friends pythons when they have seen their food getting thawed and they get excited

A picture would be good. As Jimie said it could be due to coming into shed but it also could be due to illness.

If you have a heat mat or rock could be to hot for her and may be blistering ? Just to throw it out there.

If you have a heat mat or rock could be to hot for her and may be blistering ? Just to throw it out there.

Gee, I wish you people with little experience and no evidence would hold your fire before "throwing it out there..." If you don't know what you're talking about, it's best to keep quiet rather than cause the OP a lot of unnecessary stress.

Similarly, suggesting it "could be due to illness" is very unlikely and on the evidence given, not likely at all. What "illness" causes the ventrals to flush pink? As one member has suggested, the most likely cause is that it's coming up to shed - carpets usually get a pink flush on the ventrals, especially towards the tail. The other reason, also suggested and quite correct, is that of the transient pink flush often observed when the snakes are about to be fed, or are actually swallowing prey.

There are countless threads here where novice keepers ask for advice about their observations, most of which are about routine husbandry and management issues, but other novices "throw in" all sorts of advice which can mislead and alarm new keepers. If you have nothing useful to offer, try to sit quietly and just take in the useful advice offered.

Hmmm... I must have got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning!

Jamie

Gee, I wish you people with little experience and no evidence would hold your fire before "throwing it out there..." If you don't know what you're talking about, it's best to keep quiet rather than cause the OP a lot of unnecessary stress.

Similarly, suggesting it "could be due to illness" is very unlikely and on the evidence given, not likely at all. What "illness" causes the ventrals to flush pink? As one member has suggested, the most likely cause is that it's coming up to shed - carpets usually get a pink flush on the ventrals, especially towards the tail. The other reason, also suggested and quite correct, is that of the transient pink flush often observed when the snakes are about to be fed, or are actually swallowing prey.

There are countless threads here where novice keepers ask for advice about their observations, most of which are about routine husbandry and management issues, but other novices "throw in" all sorts of advice which can mislead and alarm new keepers. If you have nothing useful to offer, try to sit quietly and just take in the useful advice offered.

Hmmm... I must have got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning!

Jamie
Certainly did mate.

Can pink flushing of the ventral scales be a symptom of septicaemia? I did state that it could be coming up to shed but it would be best to post a picture. I thought it was the safest option to offer both possibilities to be on the safe side until a picture was given rather than just put it down to shedding.

Certainly did mate.

Can pink flushing of the ventral scales be a symptom of septicaemia? I did state that it could be coming up to shed but it would be best to post a picture. I thought it was the safest option to offer both possibilities to be on the safe side until a picture was given rather than just put it down to shedding.

The thing to do before suggesting the worst possible outcome is to ask more questions, about behavioural changes, feeding, and any changes that may have occurred recently. A diagnosis of something like septicaemia would be accompanied by a range of other significant signs of illness. It alarms new keepers when suggestions of significant "illness" are thrown around when this is 99.9% likely to be something routine that the OP just hasn't noticed before. There are a lot of people on APS who when told something is a horse, but have to suggest that it "might" be a zebra... just in case...

There must be countless pointless trips to the vet brought about by alarmist suggestions of ill health, when for the most part a snake maintained in an appropriate environment will never need to go the vet in it's entire life. That's what new keepers need to know.

Jamie

The thing to do before suggesting the worst possible outcome is to ask more questions, about behavioural changes, feeding, and any changes that may have occurred recently. A diagnosis of something like septicaemia would be accompanied by a range of other significant signs of illness. It alarms new keepers when suggestions of significant "illness" are thrown around when this is 99.9% likely to be something routine that the OP just hasn't noticed before. There are a lot of people on APS who when told something is a horse, but have to suggest that it "might" be a zebra... just in case...

There must be countless pointless trips to the vet brought about by alarmist suggestions of ill health, when for the most part a snake maintained in an appropriate environment will never need to go the vet in it's entire life. That's what new keepers need to know.

Jamie
I was assuming that the OP has had the snake for at least a year now due to the date of joining and she has never seen it happen before. The OP also said that they had recently moved to the tropics which I assumed would have high humidity which may of had an effect. I purposely didn't mention "major illness" or septicaemia on purpose in my first post as not to alarm the OP but I guess my way of asking more questions was asking for a picture which you would be able to tell the difference between shedding and septicaemia. Maybe the OP could post their thoughts as to whether my post alarmed them or not as I didn't see anything within my post that would cause someone to needlessly run off to the vets. I apologise if I have in fact caused the OP to go to the vets unnecessarily or upset some more of the experienced keepers by my post but I was only trying to help and offer my thoughts.

I do not think there is anything wrong with cautiously covering all bases. You must also take into consideration the opposite and equal reaction. Whilst not as likely, something could be wrong and if we simply put it down to shedding a novice keeper may dismiss further signs of illness such as a change in behaviors as 'the animal is just shedding'.

I don't believe either party was rude or fear mongering, without pictures and the entire story, it's fair to call all reasonable options to the OPs attention.

Jungles live in the tropics. I doubt an increase of atmospheric humidity is going to create health problems. As long as the substrate and enclosure are dry it should be fine, and probably put the pinkness and rubbing down to shedding. A picture would help as well.

With Illnesses most the time there should be signs of abnormal behaviour, eg. Not eating, lethargy, etc.

[MENTION=1228]Pythoninfinite[/MENTION] I see your point, with a lot of newbies going to the worst case scenario with little information. I do think that @andynic 's first post was harmless and the illness part was more a gentle push for the OP to put up a pic, rather than your python is dying and needs urgent vet treatment. ;)

Yes, I'm sure andynic07 meant well, but my plea was about getting more info even implying an "illness." Septicaemia is a very serious consequence of some other issue, so in the absence of other symptoms, septicaemia (a generalised blood infection) can be counted out because it is secondary to some other cause (vets, tell me I'm wrong here if that's the case).

Maybe I reacted too strongly, but there are many people here who post who have no idea what they're talking about, and more often than not, it's because of a very poor knowledge or understanding of reptile physiology. I'm constantly surprised at how unobservant new keepers are - very many keepers with years of experience would be unaware that the snake's belly goes to a pink shade at the height of the opaque phase. I still believe that more info should be sought before suggesting anything like a health problem.

Jamie

Perhaps someone can address why the snake is rubbing the sides of his mouth more than ever before ?

Yes, I'm sure andynic07 meant well, but my plea was about getting more info even implying an "illness." Septicaemia is a very serious consequence of some other issue, so in the absence of other symptoms, septicaemia (a generalised blood infection) can be counted out because it is secondary to some other cause (vets, tell me I'm wrong here if that's the case).

Maybe I reacted too strongly, but there are many people here who post who have no idea what they're talking about, and more often than not, it's because of a very poor knowledge or understanding of reptile physiology. I'm constantly surprised at how unobservant new keepers are - very many keepers with years of experience would be unaware that the snake's belly goes to a pink shade at the height of the opaque phase. I still believe that more info should be sought before suggesting anything like a health problem.

Jamie

People need to not assume !!google search or there uni teacher has taught them isn't always going to have the correct answer. Maybe start with a reptile license.

I don't think it is unreasonable in this case to suggest that there are a number of different causes for symptoms like this.

An owner who hasn't noticed a routine 'pink flush' or rubbing that is shed/feed related, might also (or instead) be an owner who has not noticed another symptom that may have been present that might point to an illness.

I know that suggesting serious possibilities and causing investigation of those possibilities might be stressful to an owner, but I also know that watching a snake who is indeed ill deteriorate because you were assured it was nothing at all and didn't investigate would be worse.

This case is probably just shedding (as has been suggested) but probably and certainly are two very different things. Just my opinion though.

For the OP, I'd keep an eye on it and you will probably find your jungle has shed soon. My coastal gets a pretty pink belly before a shed.
If anything else changes though then it might be time for the vet.

:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Guys, thank you soo much for throwing your thoughts up for consideration which is precisely what I was hoping for.

I have had Aztec now for 6 years and know his changes and (thought) colorations until this. I'm really grateful that so many points have been brought to the table for me to work with and I'm not at all perturbed by any suggestions of ill health and what it may or may not be as these are just possibilities that I would rather have brought to my attention than not knowing your suggestions are submitted with good intention by other caring owners, so it's all good.

Behaviour: he seems a little agitated and more active than usual
Colouration: he is darkening which is usually when he would curl up and settle down ready to shed although his eyes are not milky at all
He just took a bath/swim, enjoyed that as usual, drinking well.
Will feed him tomorrow

I have taken some shots I will upload as soon as I sort out which shots show the best.
thanks again everyone will keep you posted.

Highly unlikely that the snake is septic. Though a pink belly is indicative of blood infection it would be accompanied be a myriad of other ongoing unusual behaviours; serious lethargy, agitation, complete lack of interest in food, rapid loss of condition/muscle tone. etc. Snakes don't just go from healthy to septic over night, it is usually a by-product of long term systemic illness, the signs of which would be pretty damn hard to miss!

My first thought was that the snake is probably going into shed. I've noticed my python occasionally getting a pinkish flush the last few days before he sheds and the rubbing could just be an attempt to break the old skin.

I would just be vigilant over the next few days/weeks and note anything that seems out of the ordinary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back