Death in the family

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigguy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I awoke this morning to find Kong, my male Olive dead. I obtained Kong 25 years ago from my mate, Graeme Gow. Graeme had caught Kong from the wild in 1980 and was already a full grown adult at that time. His estimated age would probably be between 40 to 50 years of age.

Kong sired over 500 baby Olives which were sold over Eastern Australia. Without a shadow of a doubt you would find his DNA in over 50% of the Olives held today in collections. He will be missed as he was the first animal I would see every morning when I walked into my room, and he was the first visitors would see as well. He was an impressive snake at 12ft, and an old age weight of around 12kgs.

Sorry to hear mate but sounds like he had a long and great life both in the wild and in captivity. You will always have the memories.

Sorry for your loss, but sounds like he had the best of lives:)! Were there any signs that he might be on his way out over the last few weeks mate?

Sorry to hear. Having him for 25 years is a great achievement.

Do you have any photos of the big fella?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

We had been worrying about him over the last year. He had lost weight, even though eating and he just looked and acted old. Also he kept getting his bedding stuck in his gums. Had to remove every few days. I would say he would be the oldest recorded snake so far in Australia. I have had a heap of pythons in the 20 to 30 year range, but Kong was way older

- - - Updated - - -

DSC00716 (2).JPGDSC00442 (2).jpg

Mate that is a fantastic story and one where you will have a lifetime of memories.

All good things come to an end and you will be a better person for your experience with this animal.

RIP Kong.

That almost brought a tear to my eye when I read that to my wife. Its hard to lose any pet but very rarely do you get to spend so many years with one. The empty enclosure will be difficult to look at I'm sure.
I find it very impressive that he lived such a long life, its a shame that his exact age is unknown. It is promising to know that an animal with so much longevity has fathered so many clutches and I can only hope that this is an inheritable trait.

If you dont mind me asking a few questions-

When did he sire his last clutch?
What size was he when Graeme caught him?

Sorry for your loss mate,
Aaron

So sorry to hear such sad news,
He will never be forgotten with all His babies as great replicas of Him out there.
RIP Kong
He lives on
in His progeny :)

Aaron He was over 11ft when Graeme first caught him. And very big head and bones, which normally indicates that they are not young. And that was 1980. As for his last clutch. this season. Hatch 5 eggs from mating him to one of his daughters

Wow. Living for 40+ years for a python is awesome let alone still fathering clutches.

I guess it's safe to say this guy was the king of olives. That's a very impressive life span and especially so considering he was fathering clutches at that age.

sorry for your loss,having a few olives myself hearing how old kong was,makes me smile knowing hopefully I can have many years ahead with my mates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back