Another cabinet another conversion - heating options

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[MENTION=9442]James_Scott[/MENTION] ahhhh gotcha. Thank u for that

Panels are the way to regardless of which one suits your needs.

What about panels as opposed to heat mats/ cord JS? I'm guessing in a bank of enclosures the panels could heat the floor above, but what about the bottom enclosure, would you use a heat mat/ cord in conjuction with a panel above??...I really like the panels BTW.

[MENTION=3093]pythonmum[/MENTION] makes a really good heat panel, i will be using her idea to make the heating for my new all in one enclosure for my spotties and Coastal. :) ...................Ron

@pythonmum makes a really good heat panel, i will be using her idea to make the heating for my new all in one enclosure for my spotties and Coastal. :) ...................Ron
Maybe that is who I was thinking of when I put J-A-X , not 100% sure.

Panels are perfect for arboreal species that bask on a ledge or branch. They also work well for terrestrial species when placed under a shelf or from the enclosure below as they will get belly heat.
These have to pass stringent tests to sell in Australia to make sure your house wont catch fire!

Now placing heat cord in core flute to make a panel will not only be a fire hazard ( read the what not to do's with heat cord. It says not to bend it to close proximity with itself as this can cause fire). But it does not even compare to a radiant heat source such as a panel.

Using heat cord within 5cm - 8cm with itself as you do in racks is perfectly safe and the perfect way to heat racks. This also works well in enclosure banks for terrestrial species.

Every heat source has its place in the market. You cant beat mercury vapour lights for a strong heat source with UV for monitors, Crocs and dragons but they wont do much for ambient temps.

Heat cord is great for racks and some enclosures as ststed earlier.

Ceramic heat emitters work very well in over sized enclosures particularly tall narrow enclosures.

Lights although produce heat just arent the most efficient or safe product now we have such a wide range of products.

When choosing your heat source, ask yourself is your animal terrestrial or arborial. Does it require temps above 40c?

What temps does your room get down to in winter and will your heat source be able to produce appropriate temps in winter?

Will your enclosure accommodate that type of heat source?

Most importantly though, are you using the heat source to the manufacturers specifications? These standards are not put in place by the manufacturer they are put in place after testing by Australian standards and are there to protect you not the manufacturer.

Thanks for the mentions, guys. The heat cord 'panel' is a dickyknee innovation from a couple of years ago. He puts his in a metal frame with reflective surface on top.

I have had one running for more than two years with great results. That one is under a wooden shelf, but the new one under the tile is even better. The original is downstairs where it gets quite cold in winter (12 - 14 at night). The basking spot is warm enough and large enough that my Darwin has no trouble. He has had two great winters there and fathered lovely clutches. His mate seems to find the heat appropriate when she makes conjugal visits. I will have to check temps above and below the tile panel for Porkbones, because the temp has dropped for the night and there is only 2 degrees difference between the tile and her branch ATM.

Some surface temps for reference - on top of tile =31 C; branch 15-18 cm below = 24-25 C
She was hanging out below the panel last night in hunting mode, but is now warming up for the day on the tile.

Some surface temps for reference - on top of tile =31 C; branch 15-18 cm below = 24-25 C
She was hanging out below the panel last night in hunting mode, but is now warming up for the day on the tile.

Thank u for checking and letting me know

Maybe that is who I was thinking of when I put J-A-X , not 100% sure.

I do use heat cords but pythonmum has a lot more data re the temps. Mine all sit around 33c on top

I use only cords, I gave up in globes, they failed too often for my liking.

I've got 6 Morelia spilota all heated this way, I'm unconventional in the fact I give them a warm (not hot) spot to bask if they like. I don't worry about gradients and my only concern is that they can get ambient room temp area if they choose. And they often like to pick what some would describe as the icy cold end of the enclosure.
5 of my enclosures are 1200mm long x 600 high (Darwin's) while my coastal has a massive enclosure of 1200 wide x 1800 high. All are thriving, no signs of RI and no snappy animals despite their infrequent handling.
While my methods are not conventional they work for me :)

I do use heat cords but pythonmum has a lot more data re the temps. Mine all sit around 33c on top

I use only cords, I gave up in globes, they failed too often for my liking.

I've got 6 Morelia spilota all heated this way, I'm unconventional in the fact I give them a warm (not hot) spot to bask if they like. I don't worry about gradients and my only concern is that they can get ambient room temp area if they choose. And they often like to pick what some would describe as the icy cold end of the enclosure.
5 of my enclosures are 1200mm long x 600 high (Darwin's) while my coastal has a massive enclosure of 1200 wide x 1800 high. All are thriving, no signs of RI and no snappy animals despite their infrequent handling.
While my methods are not conventional they work for me :)
I do something like this too and the snakes are doing very very well, I NOT an expert, but this works for me.
I do think there is too much follow the leader with keeping snakes. ( with some things ) and some things should be locked in as fact. Again just my 2c

For what I wanted (heating 2 snakes at once) it looks like I will go heat panel as it will radiate enough heat down for the bredli and enough to warm the shelf above it for the spotted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back