Anyone know about fish diseases?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyric

Reaction score
Attached is a photo of my betta, Mittens. I got mittens from a horrible pet shop. When I bought him he was completely white and in a tank so small he couldn't actually turn around - a drinking glass would have provided more room. This 'tank' was also so filthy that the only look I got at mittens before he was put in the bag was by looking into the water from above. Upon brining him home his fins all fell off completely. A little over a year later his fins are back, he's got plenty of colour and he's happy and healthy with a bubble nest always present. Unfortunately he has always had a swim with a bit of a tilt, and when he flares up only one side of the gills flare.

Yesterday doing a water change I noticed he has a lump on his back (see attached photo). I'm not sure what this is and all my other betta boys are healthy and happy as usual. In saying that, Mittens is still eating, still active and alert. Looking at him todAy the lump has grown. I'm not sure if his previous bad care would have anything to do with it either.

I tried searching the internet to no resolution, and posted on a betta forum but with no success and I'm impatient and worried about my fish. What is this lump? Should I be as worried as I am? What can I do? (And yes that pale patch where the lump is has always been there.)

image.jpg
also I'm sorry the picture is sideways.. Have no idea why it's doing that.

Last edited:
Hi Lyric! I manage a pet store (a nice one with clean fish tanks and staff who know what they are doing), I can't quite see in the picture but is the white lump fluffy or hairy looking at all? Or does it look solid and sort of like a pimple with a head?

we used to get about 5% of our baby barramundi would hatch with damaged swim bladders
looked lumpy
swam erratically
if they reached 6inches survived ok
but slightly strange beasties

maybe its that?

The white scales around the lump appear to me as ammonia burns.

I've seen pics before of the same lump within ammonia burns but I'm unsure whether the cause was found. Possibly fungus

Well the white scales around it may be ammonia burns as he's had that patch since I got him, so may be from the pet store. The lump is solid looking but not hairy or fluffy looking. Doesn't look like a pimple either. He's acting normal (normal for him) just has a lump. The lump seems to be worrying me more than him

Could be a tumor or parasite. Might be better off asking on a specific Betta forum.

I did, but they haven't replied :( not one reply

Ts only just developed. I only noticed it yesterday during the routine water change

it looks like it may be a bacterial infection/swim bladder infection goin on if its swimming wierd, how often do you clean the tank? do you remove uneaten food? check your ammonia levels as it does look like ammonia burn

He's always had a funny swim, the tank gets cleaned weekly uneaten food gets scooped. The ammonia burn patch has always been there. I've had him for over a year why would it just flare up now?

He's always had a funny swim, the tank gets cleaned weekly uneaten food gets scooped. The ammonia burn patch has always been there. I've had him for over a year why would it just flare up now?

how do you the water change? when you got the fish did you treat the fish for its symptoms? it could've been a bacterial/fungal infection that has recurred
you treated the water at all?, what size tank is it in, does it have a filter?-

he was treated for his symptoms and he healed up amazingly. The water gets the appropriate amount of water conditioner and aquarium salts for vitamins every change, his aquarium size is maybe 4 L? it doesn't have a filter, but none of my fighters do and they get weekly water changes of maybe 30% and I've never had a problem with them before. One of my fighters is almost 4 now too. Mittens would be the first I've had a problems with.

he was treated for his symptoms and he healed up amazingly. The water gets the appropriate amount of water conditioner and aquarium salts for vitamins every change, his aquarium size is maybe 4 L? it doesn't have a filter, but none of my fighters do and they get weekly water changes of maybe 30% and I've never had a problem with them before. One of my fighters is almost 4 now too. Mittens would be the first I've had a problems with.

just ruling out possibilities, what type of salts? aquarium salts? aq salts is generally not needed for keeping of bettas unless they are sick, other than that i can't think anything that could cause this (not saying salts is the cause but could be a slight possibility)

Last edited:
Looks like a parasite to me, with the weather heating up it's highly likely.

They're salts that came with the one of my fighter tanks, they're just for water changes. Ill head to a pet shop tomorrow maybe get some antibacterial stuff incase it's a fungus as a fellow fish keeper suggested :s otherwise I'm not sure what to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like a parasite to me, with the weather heating up it's highly likely.
What can I do for a parasite?

- - - Updated - - -

So went to a pet shop and they gave me stuff for a fungus which is what they guy said it may be. Also bought some frozen blood worms, thought it may help him fight what ever it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back