Little Stimmie having shedding troubles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hindy

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

About 2 months ago I brought a little stimsons python. It came with a tank that had red desert sand as the substrate. I was assured by the previous owner that it always had perfect sloughs. Since I have owned it, it has had 2 bad/incomplete sheds. The skin comes off in pieces and parts get stuck on him. I removed the sand about 2 weeks ago and put paper towel as a substrate. Since the change to paper towel it has had yet another bad shed. So today I moved it into a smaller click clack with paper towel so I can motor it closely and control conditions a little better.
There is always water available and I always leave his pinkies wet to insure proper hydration.

What else can I do to stop the bad and incomplete shedding?
Also what can I do to help the poor little fellow remove the retained skin? I've tried putting him in a damp pillow case but it didn't help to remove the skin.

Anything suggestions are welcome and needed.

Cheers, Aaron.

Let it soak in a shallow tub of luke warm water with a small rock or something simular so that it can keep its head above the water line. make the water about as deep as the snakes is.

Will that help with both the removal and prevention?

It will remove the retained skin and will help to hydrate the animal if it is needed.

Is it okay to feed it with retained shed still attached? I'm guessing not..

best to remove it first. A simple soak will do the trick in no time.

Do you change the water on a regular interval? How long has it been back in the click clack?

Okay, I'll give him a soak tomorrow.

I change water once every 3 days. I put it in the click clack today but it's been on paper towel for roughly 2 weeks.
Do you think it's the sand that caused the issue?

I would think not, I was thinking the enclosure maybe has too much ventilation drying things out but I am not 100% sure. I think most shedding problems are caused by either poor hydration or stress the other possibility is mites but you should notice that and it may go off food.

Definitely no mites.

I came up with a little theory as to why it could be the sand. I though the sand could be drying the skin out too much causing irritation to the skin which made the snake want to shed and for it to be incomplete due to it being dried out.

That theory is just a stab in the dark though!

I use wood shavings which are extremely dry for all of my snakes except my GTP and I do not have shedding problems.

It could have been from the dust is the sand or anything really.

I just hope I can get it better and fast

- - - Updated - - -

So, I just finished trying to get it off. I have him 2 warms baths, let him slither through a damp warm towel an uncountable amount of times, put pawpaw ointment on the retained shed, sprayed him with some rehydrating spray for reptiles and simply just rubbed it with my fingers. And I am now 90% sure I got it all off him.

Thanks everyone one for your help, it is greatly appreciated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back