Too dry or shedding early?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MissScarlett

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
I guess Im just after some [FONT=&quot]reassurance. I have had my 11mth old Cape York for about a month. Feeding brilliantly about 5-7 days as he seemed a little light on. He is in a 30 ltr click clack. Hot end about 33-34 degrees and cool end 24-26. Humidity usually around 50%. He shed about 12 days ago cleanly. When cleaning his box today I noticed he looked a little dry as if he was going to shed in the next week or so, no milky eyes seen yet. His Humidity has been low for the last couple of days, around 30%. I have moved his water dish closer to the heat and lightly sprayed the lid to increase the humidity a bit. If he were to shed shortly is this too quick? Im yet to weigh him to monitor weightgain since I brought him. I feel he has filled out really well even in the last week. Otherwise he is great and temperment is perfect to date.
Am I just stressing over nothing?
Thanks![/FONT]

This would be quick and sounds like you may be stressing over nothing. Depends what you mean by 'he looked a little dry'

I have had one young snake shed two weeks apart, I thought it was unusual but monitored it and found nothing wrong and sheds went back to around 4-6 weeks. There can be many reasons for shedding quickly and I would not worry unless you notice signs of something being wrong or it happens a lot.

it could be a growth spurt sending him into shed , happens in young snakes

ive got a woma who is a shocker at going straight back into shed after a feed even if shes only just shed shes actually doing it right now from her last feed despite her shedding a week before that feed , weights almost always indicate an increase in size for her

Thanks guys ! I'll just wait and watch. Oh and when i wrote 'dry' I mean when he is curling around his skin looks ' loose' for the want of a better description.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks guys ! I'll just wait and watch. Oh and when i wrote 'dry' I mean when he is curling around his skin looks ' loose' for the want of a better description.

As mentioned, probably just going through a growth spurt. So nothing to worry about. I have heard of one individual doing this six times in a row before it settled back to a more normal regime.
To weight it, just buy a spring balance (0-100g or whatever) and use a pillow slip. You can zero the scale with the pillow slip on it, then just add the snake to weight it. Dead easy and quite cheap.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back