Advice please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andynic07

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I have had a little visitor last night eat one of my 100g feeder rats. I know legally that I have to not touch it but was wondering what I should do. I am going to release it in my yard but is it safer for the snake to stay on heat for a dat or two before I release it since it can hardly move.
4a4udyqu.jpg

I have had a little visitor last night eat one of my 100g feeder rats. I know legally that I have to not touch it but was wondering what I should do. I am going to release it in my yard but is it safer for the snake to stay on heat for a dat or two before I release it since it can hardly move.

Hey Andy,

I don't think you will have a problem with him getting heat, quite the opposite tomorrow when you look at the forecast.

Go find some nice area in the yard for him to shelter where it won't get too hot tomorrow and he'll be fine. After all they do eat in the wild all the time :)

Hi andy, nice looking little visitor. As far as heat goes I dont think it will have any dramas, its hotter outside than it is in my enclosures at the moment, and tmro is going to be even hotter. On the other hand with meal like that to digest it might be best off to stay comfortable and safe right where it is.
You might want to release it a bit further away than your back yard too, it will more than likely be back for more;)

Thanks everyone.

I might just leave it in the rat tub whilst it digests the rat then move it down the back.

I don't mind if snakes come and get the occasional rat so I will leave it in my yard. I live on a 1300 square meter block with bush land and a creek at the back so we get quite a few come through my yard.

As soon as it gets a little bigger I don't think it would be able to get through the mesh and this is the first snake into the tubs.

My big concern was just releasing it as is and it not being able to find a good hiding spot and getting eaten because it is so full.

I'd just place the tub outside at night, somewhere where there's easy access to plenty of shelter from the heat tomorrow, and leave it to make it's own way to a secure place. If you put it outside during the day, it will just go to the nearest secure place and it may get too hot during the day. Putting it out at night will allow it plenty of unstressed time to find somewhere secure to digest that great big meal.

Jamie

Thats a cute little costal

He will be sweet as. Like others have said they eat all the time. Seen heaps of coastals up here at Mt Nebo withs bumps throughout most of the year and it can get pretty damn nippy up here! Most summer nights im in a hoodie and trackies... haha

I'd just place the tub outside at night, somewhere where there's easy access to plenty of shelter from the heat tomorrow, and leave it to make it's own way to a secure place. If you put it outside during the day, it will just go to the nearest secure place and it may get too hot during the day. Putting it out at night will allow it plenty of unstressed time to find somewhere secure to digest that great big meal.

Jamie

Tubs are outside under cover so I might just leave it in the tub and leave it open slightly and it can make its way to where it feels comfortable when it feels comfortable.

I had it in a click clack whilst I got the remaining rats out and waiting on the advice so thought I would snap a couple of extra shots before putting it back in the rat tub. It is a really calm little python and I love the colour and some of the patterns including the little question mark. I hope it hangs around and grows.

esasase8.jpg
de3eme5a.jpg
peqedute.jpg
edavejyq.jpg
uzu4ydu8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back