green tree snakes vs green tree pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Q. Are green tree snakes venomous?

A. They are not as venomous as a green ant.

Then you guys can still say they are venomous without having to worry about making people fear them. Although I just want to say that most people that kill snakes don't identify them first.

I agree alot of people that attack and kill snakes don't care what it is python, redbelly, tree snake, they just see its a snake and think its evil and try and kill it the uninformed are the most dangerous to snakes

Yeah but I can understand why they do it, I kill huntsman spiders when they come in my house because they creep me out, I know they only sting like a wasp but I still do it.

Yeah but I can understand why they do it, I kill huntsman spiders when they come in my house because they creep me out, I know they only sting like a wasp but I still do it.

Yes I guess your right I never really thought off it like that a guess everyone is kinda biased in one way or another snakes creep me out which is probably a weird thing to be saying on a snake forum but I would never kill one no matter how venomous as I respect them to much but soon as I see a red back spider I can't get the shoe quick enough to kill it something I guess I should really think about nexy time I see one

Venom gland = venomous.

Where do you stop? Venom glands are generally modified salivary glands, therefore shouldn't all land snakes have some gland to aid with digestion whether it be venom or saliva.

But if most venoms are proteins I secrete a protein from glands in my mouth.

Does that make me venomous to potatoes and other starchy foods?

Where do you stop? Venom glands are generally modified salivary glands, therefore shouldn't all land snakes have some gland to aid with digestion whether it be venom or saliva.

You stop when they have saliva glands but not venom glands. Our saliva is not venom, it is not toxic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Everyone loves showing how smart they are with a few technicalities in front of friends, doesn't always achieve the desired result amongst people that are already afraid ;)

Lmfao

Nothing wrong with spiders hanging around your property, snakes too. Gives you somthing to look at, I only kill to eat with an exceptions for rats/mice to stop them eating my fruit and veg, flies/mozzies and foxes to stop them from atacking and eating our livestock

Lucky for the snakes around hear everyone is pritty switched on and dont kill the snakes, eather calling me to relocate them to a dam a bit further down the track or doin it there self if its safe to

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well as to venom glad = venomous I m not sure I agree as I have read that bearded dragons have venom glads and they are not venomous?

Well as to venom glad = venomous I m not sure I agree as I have read that bearded dragons have venom glads and they are not venomous?

I'm interested in what makes you believe that they are not venomous?

I've got a question mark after "they are not venomous" so I wasn't stating that they are not venomous but opening it up for opinions although from what I have read and what other tell me I do not think they are but feel free to tell me other wise as I m always happy to learn

I've got a question mark after "they are not venomous" so I wasn't stating that they are not venomous but opening it up for opinions although from what I have read and what other tell me I do not think they are but feel free to tell me other wise as I m always happy to learn
you didn't know the difference between a gts and gtp at start of thread what make you think there not venomous if they have a venom gland that should mean they're venomous it doesn't mean that they can kill you just means they can inflict some sort of pain mainly infections

you didn't know the difference between a gts and gtp at start of thread what make you think there not venomous if they have a venom gland that should mean they're venomous it doesn't mean that they can kill you just means they can inflict some sort of pain mainly infections

Thats right I didn't know the difference between a gts and a gtp thats why I asked and did research and thats why I continue to ask things and the main reason for joining this forum .
As I have said I was asking not stating thats why there was a question mark and I m not asking if they can kill humans just if they are venomous if it has evolved maybe it has the glands but no longer the venom??

- - - Updated - - -

As to make the venom and not be able to inject it would be a waste of its energy so evolved as to not waste the energy on something that is no longer effective?

It's not a matter of opinion or debatable.... If something has a gland that produces venom then, by definition, it is venomous. I'm not sure why that would be so hard to understand?!

Everyone loves showing how smart they are with a few technicalities in front of friends, doesn't always achieve the desired result amongst people that are already afraid ;)

It is technically correct, just like it is technically correct that the earth is not flat. What's the use in dumbing things down for people? Better to teach them the reality of the situation than hide the facts so as not to scare them.

Their venom gland is described to only develop to an incipient state, do you know if this means that it does not produce venom? I would imagine that the presence of venom rather than just the gland would dictate whether an animal was venomous or not.

Yes if it has a gland that produces venom I agree that it would have to be venomous but just because it has a venom gland doesn't mean it still produces venom. .now I m not saying it doesn't produce venom but saying what I have tead lead me to believe it doesn't I thought there would be more information about stuff like this since they are so common as pets now-a-days

I differentiate venom from saliva by venom containing proteins, peptides and enzymes that interfere with specific chemicals in the victim, affecting the way cells and organs function. I see saliva as only aiding the the break down and digestion of cells.

As you've pointed out, it could be argued that the effect of ptyalin in saliva on potatoes and starchy foods is similar to that of venom, but I have yet to hear of any potatoes supporting this point of view, and until they do I feel it is moot.

Yes if it has a gland that produces venom I agree that it would have to be venomous but just because it has a venom gland doesn't mean it still produces venom. .now I m not saying it doesn't produce venom but saying what I have tead lead me to believe it doesn't I thought there would be more information about stuff like this since they are so common as pets now-a-days

There's something to be said here for differentiating vestigial 'venom' glands from developed glands.

In a Beardy it is suggested that there is a rudimentary (under developed) gland present, if I am understanding so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back