WHat does hypo and Het mean?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninabuddha

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I dont understand on the Reptiles Down Under website when advertisements have 60% hypo or 100% het. Also how do these calculations work? :D

It is the percentage of chance that the animal carry the gene. Hypo is short for hypomelanistic which means that the animal has reduced black pigmentation (melanin) and het is short for heterogeneous which means that the animal carries one of two genes needed to produce a desired trait and looks like a wild type, for example albinoism in darwin carpets is recessive which means both parents must carry the gene for the offspring to be albino looking. This can be achieved by mating one albino with another albino or one albino with one het or a het with a het. This is illustrated in the first link here.

Designer Serpents Australia

This is a better explanation of some of the genetic terms.
Genetics Glossary | Designer Serpents Australia

Now the 66% or 100% is talking about the possibility that the animal is a het. You can't tell by looking at a het whether it carries the gene that you are after or not so the chance is displayed as a percentage. If you look at the first link again and look the het x het picture you will see that 3/4 snakes look like the wild type so there is 2/3 chance that it is het and this is converted to 66% that it will be het for the trait.

Last edited:
It means in 3 years time after you have spend time and money to raise the animals up, you finally realise you have been ripped off and the seller is long gone.... Unless you know the person or are buying from a very well known breeder, my advise would be to stay well clear of 66% snd 100% hets.

66% are nothing more than a scam. Paying more for one is the same as gambling

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

66% are nothing more than a scam. Paying more for one is the same as gambling

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

depends who from..... I have bought poss hets a few times and proved them out......

thank you I didnt understand how they can cost so much more than a normal snake of that breed.

Hets usually don't cost any more than a wild type. A lot of breeders will even give away hets when you buy an albino.

what do you mean by a wild type? do you mean like wild caught? or closest to the wild reptiles patterning?

Hets are certainly more pricey than wild type animals. Het albino olives range from $500-$1500 a hatchling. Where as normals are around $300-350.

If you had an albino blue tongue and a full black blue tongue and they bred is it possible that the hatchlings be wild type and if they were would that make them 100% het sorry to high jack the thread

If you had an albino blue tongue and a full black blue tongue and they bred is it possible that the hatchlings be wild type and if they were would that make them 100% het sorry to high jack the thread

They would be double het. For both albino and melanistic. I believe [MENTION=14981]jinjajoe[/MENTION] has already done so and was offering some for sale recently.

They would be double het. For both albino and melanistic. I believe [MENTION=14981]jinjajoe[/MENTION] has already done so and was offering some for sale recently.
Cool thanks. . .And then you breed with another het to get the type you want e.g breed with an albino het to get albinos and a black het to get black hatchling? Is that right?

They would be double het. For both albino and melanistic. I believe @jinjajoe has already done so and was offering some for sale recently.
He certainly is and it sounds like a really interesting project. I am not sure which thread he talks about it but he certainly knows his stuff.

Cool thanks. . .And then you breed with another het to get the type you want e.g breed with an albino het to get albinos and a black het to get black hatchling? Is that right?

If you bred them back together you would get both albinos and blacks that are possible het for the other type. You may even get a double homo (melanistic albino) which expresses both genes. I'm sure [MENTION=14981]jinjajoe[/MENTION] will have more to add about that but I believe he talked about expecting a high orange albino in another thread. Normally what is black on the wild type is white on the albino form however not with blue tongues.

If you bred them back together you would get both albinos and blacks that are possible het for the other type. You may even get a double homo (melanistic albino) which expresses both genes. I'm sure [MENTION=14981]jinjajoe[/MENTION] will have more to add about that but I believe he talked about expecting a high orange albino in another thread. Normally what is black on the wild type is white on the albino form however not with blue tongues.

Ok thanks yeah I tracked down his post from a few years ago and read it learnt alot I just seem some on facebook for sale on a reptile page and just didn't understand how you could breed a albnio and a pure black and get hatchling that are not albino or black but wild type looking but now I understand kinda new to morphs (or hets or whatever the right name is lol) as I keep water dragons and as far as I know there's no het's or morphs for them here. .or maybe there is but I just don't know about them but mine are just wild type and that's all I have ever kept is wild types thanks again tho

If you bred them back together you would get both albinos and blacks that are possible het for the other type. You may even get a double homo (melanistic albino) which expresses both genes. I'm sure @jinjajoe will have more to add about that but I believe he talked about expecting a high orange albino in another thread. Normally what is black on the wild type is white on the albino form however not with blue tongues.

don't want to start a argument but from what I have seen black turns to orange in albino carpets

don't want to start a argument but from what I have seen black turns to orange in albino carpets

Albinism is a lack of melanin therefore you're left with white unless there are other pigments involved. What is black is white on the albino unless the melanin was masking another colour (which appears to be what the black blue tongues are).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back