This Seasons Odd Jungles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vixen,

I produced a clutch of 12 eggs about 3 seasons ago. Much the same as yours. Parents originated from Krauss and Montgomery aswell, both had narrow striping and when bred together produced a number of hatchies with "SUPER STRIPING".

I have just bred a Zebra Jungle over one of these SUPER STRIPES and 2 of the sibs (non ZEBRAS) have hatched out with striping, however not as good as the mother, but better than the originals (grandparents). Perhaps suggesting it is inheritable and not incubation.

However, I have since sold the original male and never paired the originals again. But do have plans for the Superstripe female and a male of similar quality, if I can find one.

Hope this info helps......

Attachments

• P3062253.jpg
    P3062253.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 133
  • P3062254.jpg
    P3062254.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 120
  • P2150344.jpg
    P2150344.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 121
Does anyone have any tangible proof that striping is caused by incubation temps?
All I can find is hearsay and pretty well unconfirmed accounts.
Notable breeders I have talked to don't regard temps as a pattern changer, as much as genes.
Vixen knows how to incubate so if there was any radical spikes etc, she would have known.
Is there any real evidence to support the temp theory?

Its been proved 100% to give stripping and alter colour of Bredlis. So I assume it had similar effects on other carpets.

My female that originally produced the odd clutch has produced three clutches since to a different male with semi dorsal stripe. Of those three clutches about a third of the offspring have nice solid dorsal stripes and some lateral striping. Holdbacks from the second clutch with solid dorsal stripes and semi lateral stripes will become part of the breeding group for 2014 and going to the sire in my avatar, hopefully he's up to it.

In regards to the incubation temps and proof of striping or abnormal/reduced pattern I believe "the devil" from this forum conducted a few experiments with a few jungle clutches a couple of seasons ago, there was a thread on it? Other than increasing or reducing hatch times I don't think it showed any abnormal patterning or striping. He can obviously inform better and from memory it was only a few clutches tested.

Its been proved 100% to give stripping and alter colour of Bredlis. So I assume it had similar effects on other carpets.

What/where was the information for this taken from, was this in the states? Nick Mutton labels it as a simple recessive trait. Lots of striped Bredl's in the US which leans more to it being genetic.

Last edited:
I had the SUPERSTRIPE jungle in question a few seasons ago, although it was bred to a jag the offspring exhibited absolutely zero striping. In fact the jags and the sibs were heavily banded.

The same season I used the same jag male over a narrow striped montgomery palmerston and produced quality striped jags and sibs with striping.

Going from those experiences I assumed the SUPERSTRIPE jungle was either created from incubation or it was recessive. But further background info on the SUPERSTRIPE JUNGLE certainly suggests it was caused by heat spikes during incubation, also the GHOST darwins were in the same incubator at the same time and recent breeding of the GHOST darwins has yielded little to no results from what I have heard (I may be wrong though).

Further to this DEVIL has experimented with a small amount of eggs from numerous clutches with incubation low and high temps over the last few seasons and got some interesting results but none with any real striping or pattern alterations. The results pertained more so to incubation timing and temps, no real pattern or colour alterations.

Going on anecdotal experiences of mine and a few others, I would think that extreme pattern alterations or incubation morphs is usually caused from heat or cold spikes during incubation, rather than extended low or high incubation temps.

Thanks for the input Barramundi. It's very likely they are some sort of incubation fault, but being totally honest I never saw any spikes or fluctuations.

Someone, either myself or a family member, are at home at all times and know to keep an eye on things and we would have heard the alarm go off if anything had happened.

Anyhow, they are starting to have their first sheds now! :p

djwn.jpg

Vixen,

I wasnt implying your animals were result of incubation. In fact the opposite.

From what I saw happen with my Krauss/Montgomery palmerstons and what you have experienced, I believe there is something genetic going on.

The incubation talk was in reference to some other users posts and I was just simply adding my opinions and experiences to help answer their questions....

No problem, in any case i'm looking forward to working with them in a few years - fingers crossed! :p

- - - Updated - - -

Nice stripe after his first shed. :p Sorry for all the photos.

tnb6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back