WHat does hypo and Het mean?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Albinism is a lack of melanin therefore you're left with white unless there are other pigments involved. What is black is white on the albino unless the melanin was masking another colour (which appears to be what the black blue tongues are).

yeah I am a little confused.... can you explain why a albino murray daling carpet is bright orange where it normally is black and yellow where the silver usually is? and if the black was ''masking'' the background colour then wouldn't it be solid yellow? In blue tongues if the black is just masking other colours and you are saying it will not be produced because albinos cant produce melanin. wouldn't the double homozygous form of the just look like a normal albino and not solid orange?

It depends if the hypermelanistic trait also affects the other pigments. If it doesn't then the double homos will look like a normal albino. If it also increases the other pigments but it usually overridden by the melanin then the double homo's may well be flame orange or canary yellow.

Hets are certainly more pricey than wild type animals. Het albino olives range from $500-$1500 a hatchling. Where as normals are around $300-350.

Yes, you're right. I was thinking more of Darwins but yes there are a lot of hets that are more expensive. Olives and death adders would be a couple of examples that come to mind in snakes.

There are no pure albino murry darlings, they are darwin crosses, hence all the other colours.

It means in 3 years time after you have spend time and money to raise the animals up, you finally realise you have been ripped off and the seller is long gone.... Unless you know the person or are buying from a very well known breeder, my advise would be to stay well clear of 66% snd 100% hets.

Hence the reason I'll only buy hets from Snake Ranch.

The picture shows the result of Hyper Melanistic x Albino stage one.....

When the babies are bred together the following 9 possibilities will result;

Normal
Heterozygous Albino
Heterozygous hyper Melanistic
Double Heterozygous for Albinism & Hyper Melanism
Homozygous Albino
Homozygous Hyper Melanistic
Albino Heterozygous for Hyper Melanism
Hyper Melanistic Heterozygous for Albinism
Double Homozygous Hyper Melanistic Albino

Cheers...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 79
I am slowly understanding the meaning now, hypo is reduced black but is this a necessity to state for selling your reptiles?

what would happen if i crossed a caramel coastal with a dark coastal female?

I am slowly understanding the meaning now, hypo is reduced black but is this a necessity to state for selling your reptiles?

I think that you may need to have a little better understanding of inheritance modes of traits and genetics in general before you start to breed anything other than standard coloured animals.

They would be possible hets as both those genes are recessive in blue tongues

A visual albino and visual hyper when breed together all the offspring will be 100% het for albino and 100% het for hyper making them 100% double hets. How did you come up with possible hets?

I don't think you can say for sure that the black is not masking another colour in the muddy darling x's. As Darwin's are originally made up of oranges, creams and browns the colour may well be coming from that in the hets. It's fairly basic to understand that without black you get white. A good example is the albino black snake. It's very much white which is a case of pure black in albino form. This is the same for albino Darwin's and I don't believe that a pure Murray darling albino would be any different without the influence of Darwin. What are people trying to achieve with albino jungles? I certainly don't think the offspring will be orange and yellow as there are already plenty of high yellow Darwin's available.

SXR line caramels are a co-dom trait so if you go back to the previous links it should say 50% show the caramel trait, 50% 'wild type'.

If you are referring to a coastal that shows caramel colours, a wild type, and a dark coastal, also wildtype. You will get all wild type animals with varying colours.

Then if you have a super caramel it will throw 100% caramels. lol

Yep. With co Dom genes it may help to see the co dom form as a visual het and the super as the homozygous animal and fill out a punnet square as you would for a recessive gene.

Maybe [MENTION=1331]TrueBlue[/MENTION] can elaborate on the caramels.

Do some breeders not say that the caramel is an incomplete dominant mutation?

I assume andy is talking about the possible mixed heritage of the sxr caramels. As recently posted in the sunglow thread.

I have posted this before but for the purpose of is thread...

Here is the biggest clue to what the double Homozygous will look like... IMO.... Strip out the black leaving orange....

Normal Eastern blueys can have an orange hue on their bellies but nothing of this magnitude....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 61
andynic07,
I dont have anything to do with caramels, never kept or bred any.
I only keep pure snakes like these 100% pure hypo coastals. I have a clutch of these hatching atm and more due in a week or so.

Attachments

• DSCN1744.jpg
    DSCN1744.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN1740.jpg
    DSCN1740.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCF0048.JPG
    DSCF0048.JPG
    293.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Status