Possible constipation?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Beans

So I'm at my partners place in brisbane, and had to leave my 8mo darwin python in vic with mum. I fed her before I left, and then mum fed her a week after but she says she hasn't seen any poo.

I'm a little worried she might be blocked up, but I don't see how as her temps and everything are fine. Mum IS a bit scared of being bitten so it is possible that she missed a poo. I'm going to give her one more week and if nothing happens I might have to go back down there or get mum to take her to a vet.

Thoughts? : /

She did just shed almost a week ago. And looks beautiful iv'e been told
:)

There are a multitude of factors which can affect the time it takes for a snake to pass wastes from a meal. Anywhere from 4 days to 4 weeks plus is in the ‘normal’ range. Between one and two weeks is simply the most common range. Some snakes are as regular as clockwork and other can vary form one extreme to the other from one dump to the next. It can be that variable, so stop worrying.

Lack of adequate hydration is the most common cause of constipation. Snakes will normally not drink water that has stood for more than a day. So clean water, in a clean bowl, supplied three times a week, is the best preventative strategy. Half to one hour exercise sessions on the back lawn or an indoor climbing frame/tree, once or a week or so, is an added way to ensure the gut contents get moved along. The enclosure should have a low branch or pipe across the middle that the snake needs to climb over, to have the same effect.

Give it another three weeks at least before you begin to worry.

Blue

Ahh awesome, I wasn't sure with juvies. She normally poops a week after eating, so yeah. Thanks for the helpful replies! I'll pass the info on to mum so she can stop worrying too. :)

She still hasn't gone for a crap yet. :( am I worrying for no reason? Should I tell mum to keep feeding her despite no poo?

- - - Updated - - -

I dunno what to do, Mums really jumpy around her and I'm not at home. :(:(:(:( I dont want her to get sick but I'll go back home if I have to

I have had snakes take up to 6 weeks to poo, and I don't get concerned until atleast 4 weeks.

Is she showing a defined bulge near her tail? Can you get your mum to handle her and feel if anything is hardening or lumpy at the lower end of the body? You can consider a warm bath if your mum feels comfortable doing that. It warms the body up, and they move around in the water.

If you go with the bath option: you can do it in a bath tub, sink, container with a lid on (assuming the lid has air gaps. I tend to go with storage tubs), bucket or anything that the snake can fit in and move around. I use water temps of 28-31 C. Fairly shallow water, it has to be able to keep it's head out easily (often against the side of the container, though you can put an upside down bowl or rock for it to rest on).

Mum is way too nervous to handle her and I'm not there atm. Mum said she looks good and is cruising around like she normally does though

Should I tell mum to continue feeding her as normal?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

unless the snake is looking uncomfortable i think youre worrying about nothing. My first bredli went 12 weeks without pooing when i moved him to pinky rats.

I'd continue to feed it.
Is your mum changing the water regularly?

Yeah I told her to change it ever 2 days

Gozz that's what I thought I'm just not sure. She is looking completely normal mum tells me. Gah hatchlings making me worry! Hope you guys don't think I'm too silly just a little worried but it's probably nothing like you said :)

Phew! How she makes me worry haha. She finally did a poo and mums gunna feed her a lovely juicy weaner tomorrow :3 Thanks for the reassurance guys.

For future reference you do not need to wait for it to defecate before feeding again.

Thanks for the reassurance guys.

That's okay, it's your baby. You're just getting the new mum jitters. You don't need to wait for her to poop before feeding. I have one snake who's had problems in the past, whom I will not feed if she hasn't pooped after 3 meals. But most of the time I keep feeding.

I can't believe you managed to get your mum to feed weaner rats to your python. Good work.

Hehe yeah mum went to feed her with tongs then dropped it out of fear into her water bowl. Then she picked it up and by this time freya was like where the heck is my food. So mum dropped it in and let her find it lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back