Stop yourself getting ripped off when buying interstate: Paypal.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahScales

Reaction score
This may be obvious to some but then again, if it stops just ONE person from getting ripped off from interstate scavengers, it was worth my time.

In order to purchase reptiles interstate you need to put a whole lot of trust in the selling party to actually come through with the freight itself. I've seen a number of threads where people have direct debited money into peoples accounts never to hear from them again. A really simple solution to this issue is to pay through Paypal. All you need is the persons email, you can send through payment and the selling party will receive an email letting them know they have funds in their account that can simply be transferred straight to their bank account.

It's easy enough for both parties and the best part about it, it's completely safe. The selling party has 45 days to come through with your 'item' or you lodge a dispute with Paypal and have your funds returned to you.

I think it could help a number of people not to get ripped off by scammers interstate.

Here's the link to where you make payments:
https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/make-online-payments

do you have to have a paypal account? and do you have to have an online bank account?

That can work the other way too though Sarah. The buyer can raise a dispute and say they never received the item and nine times out of ten paypal will side with the buyer. I'm not sure how many breeders would be willing to do it.

If you buy off well known breeders you will never have this problem anyway.

Here here Sarah.

Thanks for the info........quite timely me thinks.

At the end of the day the only people that can stop or minimise the scamming practice is ourselves.

The buyer and the seller both need to have a paypal account.

That can work the other way too though Sarah. The buyer can raise a dispute and say they never received the item and nine times out of ten paypal will side with the buyer. I'm not sure how many breeders would be willing to do it.

If you buy off well known breeders you will never have this problem anyway.

To true, This has actually happened to me on a couple of occasions selling items on ebay, where I have posted items even with tracking and proof of delivery. And still had the money taking of me, Costing me hundreds of dollars each time. I no longer use paypal or ebay !

It is an option when paying via paypal to pay them yourself or have the receiver pay it. It's simply a matter of clicking that you will pay the fees yourself.

If they seller keeps a copy of the AAE receipt when they freight the snake and keep the 'picked up' receipt from when airport lets you know your animal was picked up by the buyer, you're covered from a sellers perspective.

I know it's not 100% fool proof but at least it provides some buyer security and in the case of scammers, it will at least scare them off when you say "Can I pay via Paypal for my own personal security".

AAE does not let the person sending the critter know if they have been picked up or not unless they have been sitting for days uncollected! This scum that comes along from time to time make it very difficult for those of us that have been selling and freighting reptiles for years with out problem!

It is an option when paying via paypal to pay them yourself or have the receiver pay it. It's simply a matter of clicking that you will pay the fees yourself.

If they seller keeps a copy of the AAE receipt when they freight the snake and keep the 'picked up' receipt from when airport lets you know your animal was picked up by the buyer, you're covered from a sellers perspective.

I know it's not 100% fool proof but at least it provides some buyer security and in the case of scammers, it will at least scare them off when you say "Can I pay via Paypal for my own personal security".

I think legitimate sellers would get ripped off a fair bit by dodgey buyers scamming them via paypal.Again what are the fees involved?

AAE does not let the person sending the critter know if they have been picked up or not unless they have been sitting for days uncollected! This scum that comes along from time to time make it very difficult for those of us that have been selling and freighting reptiles for years with out problem!

Spot on.Really it is not too difficult to check someone out before purchasing.I have purchased a few animals over the years from interstate without any issues.Have freighted lots to buyers as well with no issues.

As stimigex said, AAE don't notify when it's collected. Even if you could get a copy of AAE's documentation, PayPal often sides with the buyer as already mentioned. For this reason, I don't use PayPal. In my opinion if you have to ship, researching the seller is the best way to protect yourself from any scam.

Here in the states we use pay pal quite often for online purchases. I've sold reptiles and plants well over 100 times using pay pal to transfer funds and have never had a problem. The only problem I have with it is it takes 3 business days for your cash to reach your account after you transfer it, but that's not to big of a deal. They also have this buy now pay later program witch it pretty cool.

i personally wouldn't use paypal, i would much rather go to the bank fast, easy & simple imo

I was under the impression paypal doesn't cover the purchase of animals, unless they have changed their terms of usage in the last year or so.

I was under the impression paypal doesn't cover the purchase of animals, unless they have changed their terms of usage in the last year or so.

Last time I looked it was the same. If it is the case paypal wouldn't want to know anything as its outside their terms of use

- - - Updated - - -

Don't think so.If a buyer wanted to use paypal then they should wear that cost.

Many ebay sellers and forum users add 3% for paypal fees when paying by paypal

This may be obvious to some but then again, if it stops just ONE person from getting ripped off from interstate scavengers, it was worth my time.

In order to purchase reptiles interstate you need to put a whole lot of trust in the selling party to actually come through with the freight itself. I've seen a number of threads where people have direct debited money into peoples accounts never to hear from them again. A really simple solution to this issue is to pay through Paypal. All you need is the persons email, you can send through payment and the selling party will receive an email letting them know they have funds in their account that can simply be transferred straight to their bank account.

It's easy enough for both parties and the best part about it, it's completely safe. The selling party has 45 days to come through with your 'item' or you lodge a dispute with Paypal and have your funds returned to you.

I think it could help a number of people not to get ripped off by scammers interstate.

Here's the link to where you make payments:
https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/make-online-payments

Might want to check but pay pal doesn't cover animals.

Just another thing to avoid the scams.

I found a very pretty jungle for sale on a popular trading website.
I decided yep lets go buy it, everything was sweet with the buyer, as per usual arrangements met them in the local shopping park and they brought the snake. Upon inspection the snake had a very huge color difference, I quized them about it and they gave me a range of reasons that the snake was about to shed the photo was taken under lights etc.

I decided to double check the snake in the photo had less markings on the head, I was then informed that as snakes shed there marking change. I then decided at this point to leave without any further explanation.

If something is too good to be true. It is! You might think your saving money but you will more then likely loose it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back