Spotteds housed together?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin8290

Not so new Member
Reaction score
G'day everyone. I've been considering getting a second spotted python. A female for my male and was wondering if they could be housed together as I did abit of reading around and read somewhere that spotted pythons are known for eating other snakes. The enclosures about 4 and half ft x 2 ft x 1 and a half ft. How would they go?

My two have been housed together for 5/6 years. The only problem i came across eventually was at feeding time. One of them would be greedy, let go of the rat it had, seek out the other rat and attempt to take and eat while the other one still had a hold of it or had even half swallowed it! Hence they are seperated with a middle divider when its feeding time.
Never heard of a spotted eating other snakes though.

Some are against it and some are for it. A quick check of previous 'housing together' threads shows each side of the story.

I wouldn't house them together I've know several people who've lost males to their females even in the breeding season.

I have concluded I will not house them together. It just isn't worth the risk. The animals well being and safety is my priority.

So where are these 'housing together' threads then. Can't seem to find them.

Go to REPTILE DOCTOR on Facebook. A reptile vet in Victoria.
There you will see what can happen when snakes are housed together.

I have heard people do, but more often than not read it is advisable to not house together, but I have heard success stories on both sides...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had my 2 living apart and would get them out together 1 or 2 time aweek. I have had them living together for over a yr now with no problem and my male is abit bigger then the female i feed them on the same day and after feeding i keep them apart for upto 3hr then put them back together​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back