Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate if they only been thawing over night, and they don't smell rotten they will be fine. You could gut them and eat them yourself and they would be fine if you cooked them.

Happens in china all the time.

Overnight thawing is rarely a problem, if the rodent/s were not left under heat or on a heat pad.

That's my point right there. You say it is rarely a problem and are therefore admitting it can be. It has been over 40 degrees in some parts of Sydney over the last few days so it would be the same as leaving it on a heat mat.

You should also be careful promoting your own personal ideas. I prefer to air on the side of caution with this sort of thing rather than telling people it will be fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Haven't upset me at all Andy. As above I just prefer to air on the side of caution when giving others advice.

Yeah, yeah, yeah! I base my opinion on 50+ years of experience matey. You?

It's rarely 40C overnight too by the way. I'm not "admitting" anything by the way. You are the expert... are you here for a laugh?... although I note the thread where you suggested that has been pulled.

Jamie

I back Jamie 100% on this.
Many keepers choose to throw uneaten food items but there is nothing wrong with re-freezing.

Personal choice for each keeper

I am here for a laugh Jamie not to get into personal attacks with you mate. You wanted to start the personal thing a now you getting your knickers in a twist.

50+ years of experience, wow, all that means is that you're old. As far as food hygiene is concerned, yes, I am an expert as I'm good at my job. Hundreds of people have eaten at the dirty food premises I have given closure warnings to and yes not everyone has gotten sick but I'm not going to stop giving out the warnings because it's only rarely a problem.

Yes the thread has been pulled. Funny that. :lol:

I am here for a laugh Jamie not to get into personal attacks with you mate. You wanted to start the personal thing a now you getting your knickers in a twist.

50+ years of experience, wow, all that means is that you're old. As far as food hygiene is concerned, yes, I am an expert as I'm good at my job. Hundreds of people have eaten at the dirty food premises I have given closure warnings to and yes not everyone has gotten sick but I'm not going to stop giving out the warnings because it's only rarely a problem.

Yes the thread has been pulled. Funny that. :lol:
I know that I am not going to change your mind and I am not going to try anymore but do have to say that my comparison between wild and captive snakes has to be closer than your comparison between people and snakes.

The only thing I am saying and you have all said it as well is that there is a chance that it won't be good for the snake. A chance I think we should make people aware of. That's all, not really a bad thing.

That's my point right there. You say it is rarely a problem and are therefore admitting it can be. .

yeah I think you will find the problem isn't your snake dying. If they get too warm they can start to decompose much quicker, which you will notice by the smell, which rarely happens. Anything can be taken out of context to prove a point...

Depends on if any member of your collection you intend on feeding those rats/quails is worth less of the value of $80 to you. Why risk it if you don't have to?

I am by no means an expert, but based on my experience, re-freezing's pretty unlikely to cause issues. That said, I don't re-freeze rodents, but that's only because by one animal or another, they always get eaten!! If that wasn't the case though, I would re-freeze them without a second thought. I do re-freeze food for people on a regular basis though, without any issues.
You do have to use a bit of common sense though, if for example they were all pinky mice laid out on a table (creating near on zero thermal mass), I probably wouldn't feed them to my pythons. If however they were adult rats, they'd probably be fine.

Anyways.. I might as well throw my two cents in.. Haha. Listen, my experience is it's ok to re-freeze, so long as they haven't been sitting out in high temperatures for an extended period of time.. (Like 24+hours) I used to throw mine out because ppl told me to.. I have found that you really don't need to, Within reason. I've never had any issues, but that's me. Just sayin :)

Our snakes are not wild. Wild snakes often live covered in ticks and have many parasites. Doesn't mean it's ok in captivity.

I have given my opinion and that is that I would not risk it for such a small gain compared to the losses. You cannot guarantee that it would not cause any harm so why tell the OP that it is fine?

Our captive bred snakes and wild snakes don't have all that many differences, as can be seen in wild caught animals now in captivity.

Ticks have the same affect on both wild caught and captive animals. So I'm a little confused why you brought this up. It also rains in the wild doesn't mean you have to create rain in the enclosure.

As the rats have only being defrosting for 8 or so hours you could pretty much guarantee it would be fine. As it is pythons have fairly slow metabolisms and the rat could rot away for a few days before it is properly digested. Hours don't matter all that much when python digestion works in days.

50+ years of experience, wow, all that means is that you're old.

As far as food hygiene is concerned, yes, I am an expert as I'm good at my job. Hundreds of people have eaten at the dirty food premises I have given closure warnings to and yes not everyone has gotten sick but I'm not going to stop giving out the warnings because it's only rarely a problem.

Pythoninfinite hasn't just owned a couple of pythons as pets but has real experience in most parts of this hobby and is one of the most knowledgeable members on this forum. Maybe you could offer some of your experience before you dismiss others.

The first sentence of the above quote is pretty much why APS has lost so many knowledgeable members.

As for your food hygiene experience I'll keep that in mind when I'm eating out, but as for feeding my pythons, I would follow pythoninfinite's advice. Human and reptile metabolism have very little if anything in common.

I am not bothered as to whether anyone agrees with me or not. I gave my opinion as was asked for in the OP. Some people here are to touchy for their own good. Good to see everyone can have a laugh. :p:lol:

I am not bothered as to whether anyone agrees with me or not. I gave my opinion as was asked for in the OP. Some people here are to touchy for their own good. Good to see everyone can have a laugh. :p:lol:

I think people just get sick of posters claiming their opinion as facts.

I actually don't hate people posting their thoughts but more get annoyed when those people don't listen to reason. A lot of facts start off as someone's thoughts until proven and I love a good logical debate.

I know of a number of cases of people re-freezing 100% thawed rats and having snakes die after thawing them out and feeding them at a later date, especially pinkies.
Definitley not something that I would ever do.

I have a great sense of humour. You're not funny.
I think that the temperature the rats were left out in and the size of the rats would make a big difference to whether you refroze or not.
Full body animals will go "off" much faster than a piece of steak. Overnight can also mean 12 hours, 6 hours 14 hours. So temp, time and size would be a factor to me. It is really up to the individual and a bit of common sense.

Please tell me where I claimed any of my opinions as facts?? I said in every post that it was MY OPINION and nothing else. Most others were claiming that what they were posting was fact without any proof and some were even getting personal due to not agreeing with mine. I didn't ask anyone to agree with me I was just stating my case. For some reason people here feel a need to make everyone think that theirs is the only opinion that matters. Obviously a lot of people don't agree with my opinion but that doesn't mean I can't have one or that you or anyone here can change it.

The fact that people are still asking me to 'listen to reason' without any proof but their own opinion just shows how highly people think of themselves just because they have a lot of posts on a forum. :rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

I have a great sense of humour. You're not funny.
I think that the temperature the rats were left out in and the size of the rats would make a big difference to whether you refroze or not.
Full body animals will go "off" much faster than a piece of steak. Overnight can also mean 12 hours, 6 hours 14 hours. So temp, time and size would be a factor to me. It is really up to the individual and a bit of common sense.

I have to say this is the best reasoning so far in this thread. There are a lot of variables that no one has even considered.

I don't mind if you don't think funny. I'm happy having others make me laugh.

Please tell me where I claimed any of my opinions as facts?? I said in every post that it was MY OPINION and nothing else.

I would gladly prove you wrong if you hadn't gone through and deleted them all, you didn't outright claim "its a fact" but didn't word it as JUST your opinion either.

All of my posts are still there in plain view as people have quoted me in there posts. Please feel free to prove me wrong and if you do I will gladly apologies however I try to put IMHO in all my posts. It seems like maybe I need a disclaimer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back