WHat does hypo and Het mean?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[MENTION=1331]TrueBlue[/MENTION] , I thought I had read comments by you about the mode of inheritance of caramels before, maybe I am mixing it up with hypo's. Very nice hypo's by the way, I would love to get one of these one day.

No, not by me, as said I have never had anything to do with keeping caramels and never will. You will only find pure blood snakes in my collection and almost all are locality pure.

[MENTION=34534]andynic07[/MENTION] you may be thinking of [MENTION=1350]Colin[/MENTION]. Pretty sure Colin used to breed and keep sxr caramels. Info on them was also posted in a recent thread. The sunglow one???

@andynic07 you may be thinking of @Colin. Pretty sure Colin used to breed and keep sxr caramels. Info on them was also posted in a recent thread. The sunglow one???
You might be right, I will have a read through that thread to see if it rings any bells. Too much reading lately and I am mixing things up.

I had a notification someone mentioned me in this thread, so here's some definitions related to the thread topic and some reference to comments on caramels. cheers

Definitions from vmsherp learning centre:

het or heterozygous - Having two paired alleles of different case (Aa). Typically, these animals appear normal, being indistinguishable from normal homozygous animals (AA).
Recessive - Recessive alleles will only be visible if paired with another recessive allele. Typically, any animal expressing an abnormal trait is in possession of a matched pair of recessive alleles, while any animal appearing normal may or may not be carrying one recessive allele. (There are a few exceptions to this - more on them later.)
Hypomelanism - This trait is actually quite similar to amelanism. Tyrosinase is produced but is blocked from gaining access into the melanophores. Therefore, the amounts of melanin produced are substantially reduced. Often areas which would normally appear solid black are almost transparent, perhaps translucent would be more accurate). Additionally. many specimens seem to have reduced amounts of melanophores present. This may simply be the result of selection for the brighter coloration in captive populations. It is likely that several different alleles may be at work here, all lumped under the term hypomelanism by herpetoculturists.
Melanophores - These cells synthesize and contain black and brown pigmentation known as melanin. There are two kinds of melanophores present, dermal and epidermal. Dermal melanophores are located in the upper dermis, while epidermal melanophores are located in the lower epidermis skin layers.The process of creating melanin is fairly simple. Tyrosine, which is a type of amino acid, is converted into dopa, and then into dopaquinone in the presence of tyrosinase, which is synthesized by the melanophores. Dopaquinone is later modified into melanin and deposited in the appropriate melanophores. This is the root of the terms 'Tyrosinase-positive (T+)' and 'Tyrosinase negative (T-)' albinos.In T- albinos, tyrosinase is not produced by the melanophores and no melanin is ever created in the melanophores. The result is an animal possessing absolutely no black or dark brown pigment whatsoever. In the T+ form of albino, tyrosinase is produced but is blocked from gaining access into the melanophores. Simply put, all the parts are there - they just can't mix. However, in most specimens there is a certain amount of 'mixing' that occurs by cells disrupting or possibly by osmotic transfer. The exact method is unclear, and may vary. What is clear is that T+ albinos are generally darker than their counterparts, often containing traces of melanin deposits that result in a slightly darker look than the T- albinos of the same specie. Often red coloration is particularly prominent and many times the eyes are dramatically darker than expected.

"without black you get white" not 100% sure that's correct hayden (No-two) maybe visually white but actually transparent might be more accurate? what colour fur do polar bears have? most people say white but its incorrect.. its transparent. The hair of a polar bear looks white because the air spaces in each hair scatter light of all colors. The color white becomes visible to our eyes when an object reflects back all of the visible wavelengths of light, rather than absorbing some of the wavelengths. As I said I'm not exactly sure whats correct. I'm just suggesting an alternative opinion on the subject.

I don't have much interest in many morphs or the "morph scene" these days.. I prefer to keep and breed pure line animals..

the threads I commented on sxr caramels were
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/orange-pepper-207481/page/5
post #64
post#66
post#75
wayne larks post #72

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/sunglows-210325/page/6
post #77

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back