Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Djbowker

Reaction score
So I've got a three and a half year old, who loves his reptiles.
The other day I tried to teach him common names of the reptiles, and started with the easiest, the Woma.
He started laughing his head off, and said no dad, it's a snake. This went on for about 15 minutes, before he finally started calling it a Woma.

He also enjoys playing the breeding mice, alongside the kitten.

What funny stories do you have with your kids and reptiles, and how have you gone introducing them?

What did he do with the mice and the kitten even before you have said anything it sounds like it would be funny.

My then 1 year old tried to give my woma her yoghurt once. I don't think she really appreciated it much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What did he do with the mice and the kitten even before you have said anything it sounds like it would be funny.

He enjoys letting them run on his shoulders.
The kitten enjoys them in it's mouth.

The worst is when it doesn't kill them, and you have to hunt through the house and rip up furniture to find it.

My five year old went to the reptile park and saw a diamond python and proceeded to tell the keeper about them and then moved on to facts about jungles, albinos and GTP's. The look on the keepers face was priceless.

My one and a half year old has to be with me any time I go near the enclosures and says "snake, snake" then at feeding time she helps and says "snake eating" and nods her head in approval.

They are both quite happy to hold them and let them climb all over them but the one year old sometimes sticks her hand in feisty jungle cages and I have to tell her that those ones don't want to play.

The first time the five year old got tagged I had to explain to him that they weren't venomous and he would be ok. He had just turned 4 at that stage but it was only a hatchy that got him. He's less frightened of being tagged by the snake than he is about grandmas cat scratching him.

The look my 3 year old gets when the leaf tailed gecko jumps off my 5 year olds hand onto her chest and runs up her shoulder.
Almost as good as the time I convinced my wife to hold the green tree frog and it jumped full spread onto her face.

They are both getting fantastic and handling the bluey properly though.

Keeping a reptile in a box is cool.
Keeping a kid in a box is not cool.

I find it funny when my girlfriend's nephews come over and want to hold a snake. The 6 year old is a little bit more confident about it, but then the 7 year old can't be outdone so he'll hold one too.
And they both insist on photos being sent to their Mum who doesn't like snakes haha

As can be seen in my profile picture, my son used to wear thick gardening gloves when he'd hold the first snake.
He's been tagged a few times, but always because the snake was 'seppy' (sleepy).
After watching me bath the Woma, he did the same with his snake, and then used the hook to put it in the feeding tub.

My boyfriend's son (9yo) took to the snakes like a duck to water. He actually pulled me up the other day because I hadn't washed my hands after handling the rats. (I'm pretty lazy like that :p)
He's still not super confident with the bigger ones, but he looooves the little coastal juvie, has him out constantly.
He's good though, he always asks before getting one of them out just in case it's been fed before he came over :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back