How to cool down my snake?!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1Aurora

Reaction score
Hey guys, perth is getting 44 degrees tomorrow, what's the best way to cool my snake down? I can't imagine 44 will do her any good at all. Thanks :)

Frozen bottles of water, wrapped in paper towel or hand towels.
CQ has been reaching 43-46 degrees too, and that's what I've been using.

sweet, thanks mate :) I just don't want to have the air con cranked all day & night... I'll try that. Enjoy your heat :)

Frozen bottles of water, wrapped in paper towel or hand towels.
CQ has been reaching 43-46 degrees too, and that's what I've been using.

Good idea we're due for a heatwave in Adelaide next week to I might try that

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

If you have air con then why wouldn't you use it. it doesn't need to be set on cold, just around 27 degrees and it will keep the room at a steady temp.

A quote from pythoninfinite in another thread:

"If you had a 44 degree day, that would be the problem. When anticipating a heatwave, turn off ALL electrics associated with the enclosures. If you can't cool the room or the place where you keep them, and you have a concrete slab floor, either place the enclosures on the floor in the coolest part of the house (often a bathroom even if you have a raised timber floor), or bag the snakes individually (go to the Salvos or Good Sammys and get a heap of pillowcases, but check them for weak corners and seams) and place them on the floor. It will help to cover them with a damp towel in extreme conditions. You can leave them in their bags until the threat of extreme heat passes, but it may be wise to put them all in a big plastic tub with a lid at night so that the more adventurous ones don't keep trying to get out. It can be useful to turn the pillowcases inside out, in case there are any long, loose threads along the seams which might entangle the animals. They won't need water for the few days they might be in there, and it will do them no harm at all.

When bagging them, make sure there are no tails or heads caught at the top of the pillowcase, gather the top together and double it over and secure with elastic bands. That way there is no chance the reptile can push its way out.

Jamie

By the way, the same goes for rodents - put them all as low as possible in the shed or wherever, and if you can, periodically wet the floor during the heat of the day."

This is what I do. When I was living in Melbourne we had a heat wave and my lot ended up bagged and in the bath for a couple of days.

So it's better to have a cooler click clack with a overall lower temp than trying so hard to get a gradient ? I'm having trouble getting the whole click clacks temp down. Putting in a cooler room will drop it overall to around 26-7. I assume this is okay till house temp is better?

As of right now it is 50.3 outside at my place (according to the weather station kit)... So glad I moved the Snakes in from the shed. It's like an over up there.

You cant even eat icecream because the freezer stopped working:O

Power outages are very common in the hottest weather - due to load shedding when the supplier can't keep up with demand they isolate certain areas and cut the power. You MUST have alternative means handy in case this happens - as I've said before, either bag the snakes and place in a cool spot (damp the bags if you must, or cover with wet towels for a few hours), or cover the enclosures with wet towels and keep damp throughout the heat of the day. These temperatures are quite frightening actually, especially the duration of several days.

Obtaining a heat gradient is simply not important for the period of time this lasts, for the member who asked about this. Keeping your animals cool is absolutely the most important matter just now.

Thanks Tony for sacking all the climate scientists as soon as you were elected...

Jamie

Gave mine swimming pools & brought some inside
P1161226_zps9d249850.jpg

P1161223_zps814202bf.jpg

P1161217_zps223dd32f.jpg

we had a power outage here today , most of frankston was blacked out . luckly last week in bunnings I saw they had a special on generators and brought one " just incase" .

Power outages are very common in the hottest weather - due to load shedding when the supplier can't keep up with demand they isolate certain areas and cut the power. You MUST have alternative means handy in case this happens - as I've said before, either bag the snakes and place in a cool spot (damp the bags if you must, or cover with wet towels for a few hours), or cover the enclosures with wet towels and keep damp throughout the heat of the day. These temperatures are quite frightening actually, especially the duration of several days.

Obtaining a heat gradient is simply not important for the period of time this lasts, for the member who asked about this. Keeping your animals cool is absolutely the most important matter just now.

Thanks Tony for sacking all the climate scientists as soon as you were elected...

Jamie
Jamie,
I am not doubting you at all but was hoping that you could provide more detail if possible. I was wondering if you actually had any figures if any are available to what are short term max temperatures a snake can handle (meaning over a few hours) and long term exposure to heat (meaning over an 8-10 hour period) a snake can handle. This is what we do with humans , work out short term and long term exposure limits.

Cheers
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back