Strange behaviour of Olive and water pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mje772003

2 days ago I heard a strange noise from my 3yr old olive it was a constant hiss sounding like the noise an elephant beetle makes. He also was stretching his jaws too. he looked a bit agitated. sitting on the sofa about 5m away wondered if it was a mite problem as had ground fleas around due to dry weather. he did cough up some mucus with a strain of blood

took him out of his enclosure with the water and sprayed top of decent waited for the mist to vanish then put the water and him back in he started to settle down a bit he was due for a feed so i fed him with no problem at all. another strange thing was he sat in his water bowl and he doesn't normally do this?

then today i was on the sofa again and was getting bitten by something and so i got the mortein nature guard spray and sprayed the sofa paying attention not to spray in the way of the enclosures. Then about 10mins later my waterpython was showing the same behavior like my olive showed 2 days before but not so much of the stretching of the jaw and no mucus.

My water python also was fed at the same time as my olive and took the food item

I have checked the temps and are maintained between 31 to 32 degrees c

does anyone have suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated?

I am a little concerned

Coughing up mucus with blood certainly does not sound like something to be ignored. Could be RI? I wouldn't know. Maybe someone else might be able to provide more. A vet trip might be in order.

I can't give you a definitive answer on what is wrong. Use the search tab in the tool bar for the thread, OPMV info & disease control. have a good read and see if this matches your situation. If not do an internet search for australian python diseases. It may be nothing major, better to be safe than sorry.

Have you had any contact with other owners that have had problems that you know of?

My main concern is that more than one of your snakes are showing similar symptoms.

Last edited:
Personally I would go to a vet if it continued

Doesn't sound good at all. For a start you shouldnt spray any chemicals like insect spray in the same room as your snakes.
Ideally your snakes should be kept in the coolest most quiet room in the house, not the living room, with constant vibrations, cooking smells etc. All this does is subject your animals to constant stress.
Stress is the most common cause of sickness and death in reptiles.

Both today look fine i have checked them in their hides digesting their food

spoke to Brisbane Birds and Exotics on the phone and they suggested to keep a close eye on them if things deteriorate to bring them in immediately

thank god my boy is back to his normal self

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back