A couple of dragons around Darwin

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oriolus

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I was hoping you guys might be able to help identify these two dragons I photographed in Darwin recently. They would have to be either Amphibolurus gilberti or A.temporalis right? I've got no idea which species these two are though.

This one photographed in Woods St in the Darwin CBD

unidentified dragon by Oriolus84, on Flickr

This one from the Darwin Botanic Gardens

unidentified dragon by Oriolus84, on Flickr

Long-nosed Water Dragon (Amphibolurus longirostris). You also get gilberts around town and suburbs.

Rick

What you really need is a shot showing the alignment of the dorsal scales.

Definitely not Gowidon longirostris. Besides which they do not occur there. Given the white stripe covers both upper and lower lips and is pretty much continuous with the dorsolateral stripe I would suggest that both are likely to be Gowidon temporalis.

Blue

What you really need is a shot showing the alignment of the dorsal scales.

Definitely not Gowidon longirostris. Besides which they do not occur there. Given the white stripe covers both upper and lower lips and is pretty much continuous with the dorsolateral stripe I would suggest that both are likely to be Gowidon temporalis.

Blue

Ah yes you are right, i copy and pasted the wrong dragon from arod. I believe it to be a temporalis, as the gilberti i saw up there looked a lot different.

Rick

gilberts vary hugely and I've seen them not rarely showing strong white lining covering the upper and lower lip but with dorsal scales keying them as gilberts. I wouldn't call it from these pics personally.

gilberts vary hugely and I've seen them not rarely showing strong white lining covering the upper and lower lip but with dorsal scales keying them as gilberts. I wouldn't call it from these pics personally.

When i was up in darwin in november we saw a lot that looked like this and others with smaller heads and different patten, the dragons up their are absolute stunners.

Rick

temporalis...by those nuchal crests

its a TATA lizard (Lophognathus Temporalis) the most common reptile you see around suburbia Darwin

Thanks for your input guys. Don't have any other angles to check the dorsal scales, but concensus seems to be temporalis..whichever genus its in this week :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back