Unexpected eggs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackrabbit

Reaction score
So today I discovered that my Diamond python has laid eggs for the first time. When I discovered them she was on her way back down from warming up by the heat lamp. One was already kicked out as a slug but she curled up around the others not problem. From what I could see they looked dimpled and not nice and smooth like in photos i have seen.

what do I do? Do i try to incubate them or is it too late? Or should I let nature take its course? My thinking is that in nature she isn't going to be able to lay them in a nice sphagnum moss/water mix to maintain humidity. Given that I am unsure of exactly how long ago she lay them i am not real positive about getting any babies.

any thoughts? They are currently sitting on newspaper and she is happily curled up around them in her newspaper hut.

thanks
Rick

do you have any pictures?

and you would be surprised if they are meant to hatch they will.

has she got a nest box? and how is the enclosure set up for her? if there is no humidity she will pee on the eggs to raise humidity, she will leave the eggs every now and then to bask and drink this is fine the eggs can get down to 28degs without hurting them. don't let her sit on the eggs above or under the heat, that will kill the eggs. you can take the eggs from her if you wish and because there a bit dimpled I'd place them over water method, for high humidity. as long as you don't tip them over they should be fine. if mum is doing a good job then just supply some humidity, the eggs always look different when in a coil.

good luck

My first attempt at breeding bredlis, was leaving the mother to maternally raise the eggs. None of them hatched. Basically the enclosure had to meet the same conditions as an incubator and it didn't.

In the wild it is different, the animal can travel till it finds the best spot, but in captivity it can only 'make do' with what's there. If it's not good enough, they won't hatch.

My second attempt was using an incubator. The first clutch of 17 eggs produced 13 hatchlings, the second batch of 19 eggs produced 17 hatchlings.

Now how bad do you want those eggs to hatch? lol.

My first thought is, do you have an incubator handy? If so, or if you can whip one up/borrow one quick then I would incubate them for sure. And the next thought is do you want to take on the responsibility of hatchlings. If not, there are people that would buy the eggs :) Don't let them "go to waste" if you can help it.

Thats great, My macs had eggs unexpectedly too.... mum laid 18 eggs, 14 of which hatched with a bit of help, the shells were very tough. All I did was put a water bowl right next to mum, had the heat at about 31 and kept an eye on her.....

My story is in a thread 'clyde had some eggs'

Good luck, I am sure most will be fine

For me, my 2 spotteds I bought as supposedly 2 brothers, they were adult when I got them and thet have lived together in the enclosure for 3 years without any eggs before... so to find eggs was a bit of a shock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back