Hospitals don't like Reptiles visiting

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ronhalling

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Finally i have got out of that damn hospital, i was only in for 14 days and can't imagine how some of them that spend months in there cope, anyway about 10 days in i was really missing my Spotties so i got my son to sneak 1 of them into the hospital for me so i could have a bit of quality time to destress, wow you would have thought i had brought in a case of the plague the way the Nursing Unit Manager went on when she found out i had a real live snake in there, threatened to have me kicked out of the hospital (wish she had of) and then got the Nurses to change my bedding and wash down the bed and equipment and told me she was reporting the incident to the hospital admin.....I am sorry, i could only see the funny side of it and could not stop laughing, the nurses were cool about it and a couple of them even held the spotty. Whilst on the subject of the hospital thank you to all the kind hearted APS members who PM'd me their best wishes and get well soons, it was very uplifting during a trying time.
So what is the funniest place you guys have ever taken your herps (yes i know it is illegal) i keep having these images of someone sitting in the picture theatre with a bearded dragon on their shoulder lol. :) .................................Ron

Many years ago after my Mother was recovering in hospital after a stroke....My son and I were driving to visit her and lo and behold a wild bluey was wandering across the road in front of a gravel truck .... how traumatic for my then 6 yr.old son, who dived out of the car and rescued it when the truck had passed.
Miracles do happen as the bluey had a grazed snout but no serious injury.
Needless to say the bluey was lovingly cradled in his arms as he visited granma and told the story to all and sundry in the hospital. :):):)
The room was alive with smiles and chuckles and surely brightened up the day for everyone. Nurses included all loved the bluey.
Reptiles are interesting and appreciated for most ailing folk...it gets the blood going again.....LOL
Cheers
Sandee :)

Ron, in-hospital infections are a significant cause of further damage suffered by patients who are required to stay in hospital for a period of time. Hospitals also accommodate people who are highly immunocompromised, and may be very much more susceptible than you or me to any strange or unanticipated infection, such as Salmonella. It's a big and serious job to maintain standards of cleanliness in these places, and things like MRSA seem to be winning sometimes.. Perhaps the chance of something like this is remote, but it's just wise precaution on the part of the NUM to limit every source of potential infection. I understand her concern.

Having said that, I hope your sojourn was beneficial :).

Or maybe they don't want animals that carry salmonella entering a hospital full of people who's immune systems are already compromised... I know it was all in good fun but there are reasons behind not being allowed to take animals into hospitals with the exception of the companion dogs.

I'm glad you are feeling well however, I hope you're feeling wonderful and don't need to visit again any time soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back