Advice for a poorly kept beardy

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonic

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm new to these forums and just looking for some general advice for my new beardy. I've had a bluey previously but, this is my first dragon.
My beardie is basically a rescue. He's around 8 and has lived a pretty bad life. I took him off a 'friend' after the bluey he was kept with starved to death and I've had him for around a month now. He was very poorly and infrequently fed,hasn't had a uv light for god knows how long, nor has he had a heat lamp or calcium etc for at least 3 months (some people should be shot). He was very skinny and a dull grey when I got him and he's put on a lot of weight and is a gorgeous bright orange/deep purple colour now but there are still a few things I am concerned with.

I believe he has moderate mbd from his mistreatment, as I can see his spine along his tail. It doesn't appear to bother him, he has full use and feeling and no painful parts that I can tell. Other that ensuring he gets plenty of uv and calcium, is there any special care needed for beardies with MBD?

He has put on a lot of weight and his stool is of a good consistency, he's on a diet of daily greens (capsicum, rocket, broccoli, brussle sprouts, kale, zucchini etc), a couple of meal worms once a week and crickets every 2-3 days. Given he was eating very little, is there anything special I should or shouldn't feed him?

He loves it outside in the sun and (provided the weather is nice) he has an outside tank with a cage lid and 1/2 shade, 1/2 sunlight that he goes in for a few hours a day on the weekends and 30min or during the week. Considering he's not had a uv light for god knows how long, should I be limiting his exposure to natural sun light at all or is the longer, the better?

His light goes off round 9 or 10 pm (whenever he goes to bed) and I put it back on around 6:30am. Sometimes he sleeps 1/2 the day, sometimes he's up and about by 5am. I've left him to his own sleeping pattern. Should I instead be forcing him up and about?

His behaviour seems fine now, he's happy, he explores, he loves running round the house and tasting everything. The only 2 things that really concern me are that he has very bad depth perception (apparently he's always been like this) and takes 3 or 4 goes to get a meal worm and needs to be hand fed (with thongs) crickets, otherwise, even if they've been in the fridge, he can only catch 1 in 10 and take takes him a good 6 or 7 goes. Is that normal in beardies or could that be cause for concern?

The other thing is, when i got him, I notice a piece of skin from the bottom of his tail missing, another piece shed off when I held him the next day. Leaving a 5cm by 2cm piece of his tail with no top layer. You can see the next layer of skin underneath but it's certainly not developed. Its a saw dust type colour and very hard. The skin around it could very easily be peeled off the bottom 1/2 of his tail (which I've obviously not done) and little bits pull off when he drags his tail on his log etc. I don't know whether I'm just being an over protective parent and, now he's getting proper care, it will improve in time or whether it is something that needs to be looked into. I can provide a photo if that would help?

Any advice or assistance would be amazing. Thank you for reading this verbose little story and thanks in advance for the help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you're doing all the right things to me, I would up the crickets and woodies to once a day though. It will help your friend put back on some of his lost weight. I'm unsure if what your describing regarding the scales is normal shedding or something else. Some pictures would be good. :) Sunlight is your friend!! As much time in the sun as you can provide is good, just make sure he doesn't over heat. The bad depth perception I'm not sure sorry but it could be a few things... a neurological condition, possible poor eyesight or perhaps weakness? I would recommend a vet check with an experienced reptile vet. Take a faecal sample with you when you go so they can check for worms and other nasties like coccidia. As for his sleeping patterns I would leave him be. Mine all have difference preferences for sleeping. (I have one girl who doesn't like to get up until lunch time!) Just as long as he is eating and basking you should be ok. :)

Sounds like you have the MBD problem covered, calcium and sun are the best things you can offer.

I wouldnt be to worried about his depth perception at his age, if hes haivng trouble it takes a few extra mins to hand feed.

Pics of the shed/undeveloped area would be good, its quite normal for beardies to shed big chunks of skin from 1 section of body, (ie a leg and tail, or part of a back and head) they rarely do a complete shed as adults.

Heres a food chart so you can work out the best salad choices for him
Untitled Document

Also, for an adult dragon, limit his live feeders to 20% or less of his diet, too much protien isnt good for them.

Thanks for the replies guys :)

Very happy to hear that I've been doing right by him. You can do as much research as you want but it's really difficult to find the answer to the situation specific questions. Thanks for the feed chart, it's good to have a comprohensive list of what foods give him what vitimins, as I'm still testing out his taste buds and working out what he enjoys and what he leaves behind.

Regarding his tail, I don't think it is a normal shed. I could be wrong, obviously I'm new to the beardy quirks. But other parts of him have gone grey and shed normally, it's only the base of his tail that seems to have fallen off before the bottom layer was ready. It's certainly gotten better since it occurred and the section of his tail missing the skin is almost flush with the normal scales now (it was originally a few mms lower than the rest). I presume it was just caused by poor health. I've tried to attach a picture but the site won't let me so I'll post it in a minute from my phone :)

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 303919View attachment 303920

- - - Updated - - -

Alright, that appears to have worked :) they aren't the best quality photos but you can see the colour difference and, to some degree, the texture difference. The cream part is the part that just...fell off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back