Lace monitor advice wanted!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slabzzz

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 1200mm 4 foot or so Lace monitor not sure of its age any guesses would be appreciated? Also I bought it with a large burn scar on it's back and was wondering if there and any creams to help it heal? I notice he must burn it a little every now and again because the white skin gos pink and flakes off. I'm after any and all advice to house and look after the Lacey properly.

I have a 275watt uv lamp hanging from the ceiling of his enclosure what distance should I place it from his basking area and what temp Should the spot where he lays be at?? I live is Tasmania so it's pretty cold most year round but He's enclosure stays at around 15 degrees is that ok? What would be the best diet for it? And how often should I feed? What humidity should it be at?

Any advice will be appreciated!!

- - - Updated - - -

Also what would a Lacey be worth at that size without the the scar? I paid $700. Not sure if that was to much but I didn't mind I love Lacey's and they are hard to get in Tasmania so I was pretty stoked to stumble across it!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 264
Slabzz, take it to the vet. Now do some research on lace monitors, quick way go to top right off screen above advanced search, and type in lace monitor care. Basking temps for these are 50-60 degrees but need several lights to go across there body, not just one spot. Creams I'm not sure what to recommend as that is pretty bad.

So research now then VET first thing.

have you got any pics of the whole enclosure so I can see the full setup ?
how long have you had it for , and what are you feeding it at the moment ?

I am by far not an expert , and the following is my opinion :
I would give the lace several basking spots in different areas of the enclosure , one of the basking areas id have a rock or a large flat piece of wood [ or a big log] so it can lay its self out nice and flat .
15 degrees for the ambient temp I think is a little low , one way of raising the temp would be to have more then one basking area .

I really hope this is a troll, but those burns look nasty.

Take it to a vet!

image.jpgimage.jpgInstead of 1x 275w heat light, use 3 smaller heat lights (say 3x 75-100w) over a big piece of slate to create a larger basking site which is capable of heating the entire monitor at once. The burn has happened due to the monitor needing to bask for an extended period of time under a hot light as it cannot heat its entire body quickly enough... Monitors aren't meant to bask all day, they're meant to bring they're temps up and then go on the hunt for food or a mate etc, returning to bask periodically throughout the day... If you choose to keep your heat setup like this, you do run the risk of causing irreversible damage to your monitor, possibly even killing it... I have posted a pic of a monitor who literally cooked its internal organs and died from this kind of burn.. Pics credited to Dr Shane Simpson, who attempted to treat this poor animal but unfortunately was unable to help it due to the severe nature of its injuries...

I'd change the uv lamp for several basking lamps as sd1981 has said and the slate floor is a good idea. he now no longer has scales on his back but instead has fleshy skin we burn in uv and now can your Lacey hence him turning pink and peeling , I'm currently in the middle of fixing a Lacey with the same type of injuries except the Lacey I have recived is in a worser state slabzzz go to the chemist and buy some chlorhexadine concentrate and bath the Lacey in it regularly the water needs to be a very light pink I forget the mixing ratio but I'm sure it's on the bottle , sd1981 the animal pictured actually came into contact with his Che and thus is how those burns where done so light cages are the way to go

Last edited:
Very true Planky, it just goes to show that even though a monitor will sit under a hot lamp, or lean up against a Ceramic Heat Emitter, doesn't mean it is good for the monitor....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back