Questions for a First Time Snake Owner (likely a Stimson's)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would that book actually help me in figuring out exactly how to set up the enclosure? Or could anyone point me towards a good guide, considering I'll be getting a Stimson's (my mind has been made!)?

I am also wondering, what age should I be looking at for getting a python? I understand that you can get them as late as you want really but if I am looking to buy a young Stimson's, what is a good age to buy it at?

Thanks again all!

G'day Kit,

As many have suggested, grab a copy of The Complete Children's Python. It covers all species of Antaresia, and is co-authored by Peter Birch, Australia's most successful breeder of Children's, Stimson's and Spotteds. It will answer every single question you have, including how to set up an enclosure and what age python you should buy. This is why they call it The Complete Children's Python!

You can grab a copy from here - http://www.herpbooks.com.au/cms/hus...age=flypage.tpl&product_id=191&category_id=17

Good luck!

Buy a hatchling as they can be kept in a click clack. There are a few threads on click clack on here and generally the more simple the better.

"The Complete Children's python" should cover set ups. It is a fairly big book with specific info on the Antaresia genus. "Keeping and Breeding aussie pythons" also has info on basic set ups.

Stimsons can be difficult to get eating at first so buy from a good breeder that provides feed records etc. I would try to find one at about 8 months personally but that can be a bit hard at this time of year. Might be some yearlings left from last season though.

I would strongly suggest buying from a breeder and not just from online or a pet shop. The reason for this is because breeders can tell you all the necessary information about the snakes history, how well it is feeding, if it has had any problems in the past and he/she may even get your snake feeding again if it won't feed.

I purchased my Stimson's python from Dolittle Farm in Molong and Steve (the owner of the farm) was a great help with both choosing a snake and how to care, house and handle it. He even told me that if it ever stops feeding, I can take it back to the farm and he will get it feeding again! Breeders are always trying to make sure your snake stays healthy and happy, and don't just try to make money and do nothing else.

i hope you can find a breeder in your area and get a good quality, happy and healthy snake!

I would strongly suggest buying from a breeder and not just from online or a pet shop. The reason for this is because breeders can tell you all the necessary information about the snakes history, how well it is feeding, if it has had any problems in the past and he/she may even get your snake feeding again if it won't feed.

I purchased my Stimson's python from Dolittle Farm in Molong and Steve (the owner of the farm) was a great help with both choosing a snake and how to care, house and handle it. He even told me that if it ever stops feeding, I can take it back to the farm and he will get it feeding again! Breeders are always trying to make sure your snake stays healthy and happy, and don't just try to make money and do nothing else.

i hope you can find a breeder in your area and get a good quality, happy and healthy snake!

While you seem to think this about pet shops the ones in Sydney are probably the same people that have bred the snake . these shops are Not going anywhere in a hurry and will be there to help you with all things snakey . unless you have dealt with the shops don't be too quick to Diss them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back