What do your feed sheets look like??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjcarpentry

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Now that we are starting to get a collection of snakes I was thinking about doing some sort of spread sheet. Anyways I was wondering what other ppl were doing in that regards.

Thanks

We do a basic grid. Down the side is month and up the top is date. We then have a letter code with a legend down the bottom. For example our little fella is on pinkie rats. We put PR in the date he fed. A / goes through it if he refuses (He never does). The letter P mean he did a poo. S = shed. * is when he becomes a wuss and goes in to his hide. We know this is the beginning of his shed wusseyness! C is a full cage clean..... I think you get the idea.

I highly recommend QR2id. There is a thread on here from Virides explaining it. I used to use the Snakekeeper app and I know people who use spreadsheets on Dropbox etc but QR2id is awesome :D

Sorry if I'm not allowed to promote a product? I guess mods will delete if necessary :)

I record, cloudy eyes , shedding, feeding, once a moth weight and length measurements and that is about it so far. I have had no sickness but would record that and the treatment as well.

^ ^ ^

Wow guys I feel like a crappy mum now. I only record feeding, shedding, biting and unusual activity eg lately Steve has been rubbing his nose on everything and Fang is no longer wrapped around the top of his plant but rather has been curled up under it on the heat mat for 2 days.

Edit: forgot to add I also record length and weight once a month :)

Last edited:
I just use notepad to input the data about my Snakes.
Has which breeder i got them from, the breeders name and number, date of purchase, sex (if known).
The rest is for what food has been refused or taken along with the dates, and sheds. Think that's about it.

Edit: Forgot to mention... I do check on their weight(s) every now and again. it's more just to make sure they're not losing too much (if any) condition if they have any longish spells without eating. So that isn't recorded in notepad.

Last edited:
Well my spreadsheet (i use excel) will probably make it seem like I have a lot of time on my hands.

Feeding includes date, food type eg Weaner, number of food items that were fed and notes which normally says F/T meaning frozen thawed or Prekilled food item.

I also include on the sheets DOB, what the mother and father were, photos of mother and father, breeder details etc, morph, common, scientific and species (I know, too much time on my hands).

Shedding records show date, the condition of slough and days between. Weight is done every 3 months roughly. Trying to do length has been put into the too hard basket. Lastly, Other Notes section which details unusual behavior, problems, vet trips etc. but mostly just put updated photos of colour changes every few months.

This is the 1 i made up for each of my Hatchie's seems to work ok, is on excel :) ........................................Ron

Attachments

• feed and shed record example.xls
    23 KB · Views: 120
I record EVERYTHING!! ever since I got a smartphone I've turned into a moron! So I record all handwritten in s log book. Lol date fed, weight of said food, if was taken or refused, if it was taken from tongs or off the ground, what the temp and humidity was when fed.
Lol that's just the feed chart :)
Lucky I only have one snake hey?

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk

I don't record anything. I feed every weekend at the moment, replace water every 1-2 days and clean as required.
I only have 2 snakes though. If I had a bunch I'd record feeds and sheds I reckon.

I record it by writing (with a pen! haha) on a piece of A4 for each snake, date, what they ate/refused, also when they shed/poop/urate and any health or strange behaviours.

I just use a monthly calender template that opens up in word. Then i colour code a few things like vet vists, feeding,shedding,weight ( you get the drift ) it gives me the chance to type in multiple things in one box and highlight.

I just record feeds and sheds for my smaller ones, and a little more detailed things for the Hatchy's like , DOB, defacation, prey item, weight, refused etc. for the purpose of forwarding the records to the next owner.
... As for my older ones that have been doing it for years, If they are eating and ****ting then they are growing. No need to weigh or measure unless I'm gearing up a pair to breed and I want to check where they are at.

I bought a diary...when my friends look at it they expect to see my most deepest thoughts and secrets and instead they see notes scribbled down of my snakes as in when they ate, what they ate, when they shed, the length of the shed, their weight and length monthly, behavior, etc. I also like to keep track of my rat and mouse litters so lots of information about them along with other animals is in there also :)

I personally keep a diary. I know that everyone has their own way of doing records, but I think it's really important for anyone new to the hobby to make observations and to record them in some kind of manner. Over time you will start to pick things which are happening to your animals and you'll know what's going on without going over your records. At the end of the day they're are great to fall back on for yourself and potentially if you need a vet visit!
Things you could record are: feeding (type of food) dusted/gut loaded. Defecation, weights of the animals. Temps of the hot end, cool end and animal temp. Where your animal is in the enclosure, room temp and I also record down what the outside daytime high and low of day/night. Sloughing. Cleaning

Don't do it, bad enough putting numbers on their enclosures to identify the individuals. Do use a system of tags for those whom got fed & coming up for a shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back