Is my setup okay?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Varanoidea

Reaction score
This is my setup for my stimmi. I think he's about a year old, 130g. Just asking because he's a pretty fussy eater, it isn't that he's not eating it's just that he will take two feeds and then refuse them for a week and a bit before starting again. :S Fuzzie rats. The right side is a heat tile at 33c and the left side is 26c. Ambient air temps are 27c-29 during these months. Does it seem like somethings the matter or is he just a bit of a princess?

Cheers :)

FB9yS9G.jpg

P.S I'm getting more ventilation in soon, there is a vent behind the plant you can't see.

Maybe he's just not hungry. A fuzzy rat is a decent meal for a small snake. Cage is peobably a bit big too.

Cage is peobably a bit big too.
My 2 year old children has a 36 inch long cage and he completely fine, I don't think it matters having a big cage.
p.s. Your set up looks really good varanoidea (but maybe add a branch or something)

My 2 year old children has a 36 inch long cage and he completely fine, I don't think it matters having a big cage.
p.s. Your set up looks really good varanoidea (but maybe add a branch or something)

Cage size does matter a fair bit, actually. Small and young snakes in particular can feel very threatened if in a large cage and will spend a lot of their time in hiding and may go off feed due to anxiety.
However, if you meant that it shouldn't matter in this circumstance then I agree, I think for a one-year old stimmy it should be fine (it also looks like a 36" cage to me).

Varanoidea: Well done, it looks terrific.

Cage size does matter a fair bit, actually. Small and young snakes in particular can feel very threatened if in a large cage and will spend a lot of their time in hiding and may go off feed due to anxiety.
Benreyn, my children doesn't feel threatened at all, he's all ways out in the open, has never bitten me before (Except when I once tried to hand fee him, but that was his fault),isn't cage defensive and he eats every week (best Pet Ever!:D).

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses, I suppose I'll just put it down to trying to feed him too often (every 5 days). I'll add bigger intervals.

Benreyn, my children doesn't feel threatened at all, he's all ways out in the open, has never bitten me before (Except when I once tried to hand fee him, but that was his fault),isn't cage defensive and he eats every week (best Pet Ever!:D).

Benreyn, we are not talking about your snake, we are talking about the one mentioned. I gave, as an option of why the snake might not be eating, the cage size. I'm glad your snake is happy but they are all different.

is that gaffer tape over the light socket?....if so pull off the tape and place a blown globe in the fitting......tape and reptiles is a nightmare your don't want.

This is my setup for my stimmi. I think he's about a year old, 130g. Just asking because he's a pretty fussy eater, it isn't that he's not eating it's just that he will take two feeds and then refuse them for a week and a bit before starting again. :S Fuzzie rats. The right side is a heat tile at 33c and the left side is 26c. Ambient air temps are 27c-29 during these months. Does it seem like somethings the matter or is he just a bit of a princess?

Cheers :)

FB9yS9G.jpg

P.S I'm getting more ventilation in soon, there is a vent behind the plant you can't see.

Your temps are fine, and i wouldn't fuss if its only between a week and a half, as stated before its a big meal for a small snake. In the wild he wouldn't get a feed every 5 days, i used to worry all the time, then i got diamonds several years ago, and they were very on off with feeding, the diamond pair i have now however would eat bangers and mash i reakon lol.....

He's lost 4 grams between then and now, I'm so panicy haha.

What are you using for substrate?
And I think that having a small snake in a big tank Is a really bad thing cos a mate of mine had a youn coastal in a big tank and it wouldnt eat or come out of hiding and it died cos of not eating p.s my mate didnt do research about small snake in big tanks

It's kritters crumble. He's really not that small compared to the tank. Here is a pic for comparison:

oFGTzBa.jpg

And I think that having a small snake in a big tank Is a really bad thing cos a mate of mine had a youn coastal in a big tank and it wouldnt eat or come out of hiding and it died cos of not eating p.s my mate didnt do research about small snake in big tanks

Any snakes natural viv/enclosure is huge
Basically as far as wants to go in any direction

It is never the size of the viv that matters
It is only the amount of cover and hides that lets any snake feel secure or not
example
A small snake left in the middle of a football field may never feed and eventually die
Same snake left in a patch of thick bamboo will live long and prosper

So the reason your friends snake died had nothing to do with the size of the viv/tank/enclosure

Any snakes natural viv/enclosure is huge
Basically as far as wants to go in any direction

It is never the size of the viv that matters
It is only the amount of cover and hides that lets any snake feel secure or not
example
A small snake left in the middle of a football field may never feed and eventually die
Same snake left in a patch of thick bamboo will live long and prosper

So the reason your friends snake died had nothing to do with the size of the viv/tank/enclosure

+1!!!!!!

Sick of hearing "Enclosure is too large.."

Umm... I meant to say that it wasnt his fault

maybe try every 7 days or have u tried to brain the mouse ? i here alot breeders do that for snakes not eating

Still no go, I guess I'm going to leave him for a month or two. I don't have the money to be buying more rats/mice everytime he doesn't eat one. >.<

Last edited:
Well he's eaten once, so that's a good thing. Off his food again though. >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back