D.I.Y. Foam Box Incubator is Great!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MotherBear

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Just like to say that the D.I.Y Foam Box Incubator works bloody fantastic! :D

And on another note, to those who did nothing but criticize me, when my spotties had eggs,,,,,
SUCK ON THESE PIPPED EGGS!! ;) :lol:

100_0889.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on the success, foam box incubators will do the job but if you have a lot of eggs and hot days an old fridge or wine chiller will be better.

They have worked for me for years with no problems what so ever solar 17

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats on the success, foam box incubators will do the job but if you have a lot of eggs and hot days an old fridge or wine chiller will be better.
Why will they work better 99% of an incubator is the thermostat after all solar 17

I'm sure they are, but had to work with what i had at the time. Generally the weather here isn't overly hot in most summers, so worked well.

Ditto that MB:)! Broccoli box from the local Super costs nothing, but a bit of courtesy.

Attachments

• P.t eggs 032 [1600x1200].jpg
    P.t eggs 032 [1600x1200].jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 153
  • EB hatchlings 003 [1600x1200].jpg
    EB hatchlings 003 [1600x1200].jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 135
And they only took 45 days to pip. :) In the normal range, but was expecting 50 days or so. Anyhoo, all that matters is all went well.

Last edited:
One advantage the foam box has over a fridge-incubator is that on "extremely" hot days you can pack a couple of bottles of frozen water/ice around it quite easily solar 17

Is it pre much a coles brocoli box, with a heat matt placed inside and a thermostat??

^ Yeh that's pretty much it. Just make sure you use A quality thermostat. I run A pulse thermo with A heat cord and whatever the daytime temperature is my box is A cosy 31.2 degrees

A lot of people say you need a quality thermostat but I just had 100% hatch rate with one of those cheap Chinese on/off ones from ebay. Temperature fluctuated by about 1.5 degrees.
Was I just lucky or do we try to hard for perfection sometimes?

A lot of people say you need a quality thermostat but I just had 100% hatch rate with one of those cheap Chinese on/off ones from ebay. Temperature fluctuated by about 1.5 degrees.

Mine was an on/off one also. Wasn't bloody cheap though, lol.

First one..jpg

On/Off for me too, just a "reptapets" brand heat mat with a cheap thermo..texty's are pretty hard to kill, though and it might be more fail safe with a quality thermo?

Congratulation MorherBear . My brother in law was trying to breed his jungles and didn't think that the female was gravid so did not have the incubator he purchased set up when his female (a bit chunky) laid 22 eggs. It was his first breeding and when he tried to remove the eggs a couple of days later the female was very defensive which scared him so he decided to let her maternally incubate. He had a light in the enclosure that he turned on and off manually and an on/off thermostat for the incubator that I lent him (cheap Chinese). I set up the on/off thermostat for him on the light in the enclosure using my IR heat gun and let the mum do her job. The eggs pipped about 5-6 days earlier than expected but he had 21 of the 22 hatch maternally incubating the eggs in the enclosure without a nest box or any added water. I suggested that he place a water bowl in the hot end to provide a bit more humidity but do not know if this had any effect.

Congratulation MorherBear . My brother in law was trying to breed his jungles and didn't think that the female was gravid so did not have the incubator he purchased set up when his female (a bit chunky) laid 22 eggs. It was his first breeding and when he tried to remove the eggs a couple of days later the female was very defensive which scared him so he decided to let her maternally incubate. He had a light in the enclosure that he turned on and off manually and an on/off thermostat for the incubator that I lent him (cheap Chinese). I set up the on/off thermostat for him on the light in the enclosure using my IR heat gun and let the mum do her job. The eggs pipped about 5-6 days earlier than expected but he had 21 of the 22 hatch maternally incubating the eggs in the enclosure without a nest box or any added water. I suggested that he place a water bowl in the hot end to provide a bit more humidity but do not know if this had any effect.

Nicely done. Was going to let the mother do the job, but didn't have enough info. at the time. Maybe next time. :)

I'm using an old foam box with an aquarium heater small water pump and a plastic tray sitting on some bricks. Temps set at 29°c and have had 100% success. So far 110 healthy bearded dragon in the last 3 years.
Cost me around $40 to set up.

Sorry for the hijack but with a name like "manimal", you wouldn't happen to be a W.A.S.P. fan are you?

We use a store bought foam incubator for chook eggs at home, dont see why it wouldnt work for snake eggs? Its large enough to fit six 7 litre sistema containers in.

Norm, I had to Google w.a.s.p as I had no idea what it meant. Manimal is just a name I thought suited as im a man who loves animals. Now I know who wasp is ill have to given them a listen and let you know what I think.

Lol! Manimal is an old song of theirs from the eighties. I doubt they'll be your thing but I love'em!

Nifty thinker manimal. Don't envy the temps you're having there at the moment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back