Reptiles and Extreme Heat in Adelaide

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozziepythons

Reaction score
Hey guys, for those of you reptile keepers in SA make sure if you don't have adequate air con running for your reptile rooms/homes do what you can to keep them cool, especially pythons in tomorrows heat and turn off their heating elements. My house gets oven hot so mine get placed in containers that are placed in a tub of water in the shower alcove in the hottest part of the day. Many people think reptiles just love heat indiscriminately but the reality is if they can't cool themselves down they can quickly dangerously overheat, especially pythons even arid adapted species.

I spray my blueys and lace monitor with water a few times a day , wet a nice big area for them to lay on aswell.

I use ice packs that can be frozen fairly flat and put them under the cool end of my two click clacks. This works really well to achieve a temp gradient. If I run out of packs ice cubes in the water helps too.

i'm using fans and aircon but am freaking it as i have eggs in the incubator and i'm due for the power cuts as my grid is one of the grids to be turned off tommorow . My parents had theirs turned off yesterday it was superpose to be half an hour blocks but turned to 3 and a half hours

I've got the aircon going for the diamonds, birds, and dogs!

It's 3am here and still darn hot and miserable!

Its ironic that temperature extremes result from humans indescriminate and over use of energy, but the solutions adopted by many are just to use more energy. Cranking air conditions and making ice blocks is very energy intensive and inefficient. Humans are supposed to be smart, so hopefully we'll eventually chose longer term design solutions, which are more sustainable.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm using fans and aircon but am freaking it as i have eggs in the incubator and i'm due for the power cuts as my grid is one of the grids to be turned off tommorow . My parents had theirs turned off yesterday it was superpose to be half an hour blocks but turned to 3 and a half hours
It beats me why more ppl don't have an inverter (ups system)for (power outages) emergencies these can cost as little as $100-200 dollars and can save all your eggs and have been spoken about on this forum and others many times ...solar 17

Frozen bottles of water, wrapped in paper towel or hand towels.
Got me through 43 degree heat a few weeks ago stress free.

The easiest way to control temps in enclosures and incubators is to place them on the floor in the coolest part of the house (often the bathroom with a tiled floor), cover them with damp/wet towels for the hottest part of the day, and hang around to keep them dampened as needed. Certainly TURN OFF ALL ELECTRICAL ITEMS associated with your animals.

Eggs in incubators won't suffer too much if a bit cooler than usual for a few hours, but will certainly die if they get too hot for too long, so the damp towel trick will work well.

Rodents need to be put down to ground level and checked to see they have plenty of water. Wet the she3d floor occasionally if you can.

Jamie

Jamie

I installed some "above ground swimming pools" for my elapids whom are in outdoor pits. Haven't seen any of them use them yet. Hose the pits down 3 times a day while we are having these 40 degree days. Adders in the "Adder Room" no heat & those in tubs left in the garage are now left on the floor inside the house.
P1161226_zps9d249850.jpg

P1161221_zpsefe6cd9d.jpg

P1161224_zpsab6bd419.jpg

P1161216_zps165b396e.jpg

P1161217_zps223dd32f.jpg

Seems like many of us are ahead of the game, good to see many of you have action plans for maintaining the temperatures your little ones are exposed to. Not much fun to come home and find a prized python flattened out on the cage floor suffering from extreme heat and almost dead, its a lesson I have seen a few users on this site learn from before hence thought this thread was worth putting out there for newbies and also a reminder for everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back