getting ready for next breeding season

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninabuddha

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,

im wanting to breed coastal carpets i will dot point my questions

1. when do i mate them?
2. how long are they gravid for?
3. what do i use for the nesting box?
4. what temperature must they be in?
5. is it better to incubate or let the snake do the job?
6. how long do i leave the male and female together?
7. how long after the eggs hatch to i remove them from their mother?
8. do i feed the female large aamounts before i stop feeding her?
9. when is their breeding season?

my coastal is 7 years old and never bred so i dont know how she will go with another snake

For anyone that is breeding for the first time I would recommend a lot of reading. Best places to start would be 'The Complete Carpet Python' book and the articles by doc rock on the southernxreptiles website.

For anyone that is breeding for the first time I would recommend a lot of reading. Best places to start would be 'The Complete Carpet Python' book and the articles by doc rock on the southernxreptiles website.

thank you i was wondering what experienced breeders would recommend as i usually have more luck gathering all advice

I don't own any snakes but I would recommend some good books like "a guide to Australian Pythons in captivity" by Danny Brown. The lizard versions of the series has plenty of information about breeding and should answer all your questions you have.

I don't own any snakes but I would recommend some good books like "a guide to Australian Pythons in captivity" by Danny Brown. The lizard versions of the series has plenty of information about breeding and should answer all your questions you have.

G'day 007,

The only book published in Danny Browns series is actually on elapids and colubrids, not on pythons unfortunately. They have one in the pipeline but it's yet to be published.

Ninabuddha,

You'll get a lot of information off forums, and some of it will be really good, and some of it not so good. The benefits of investing in a book is that generally publishers aren't willing to invest a lot of money into producing a book that's written by someone who isn't an expert. Good books really are an investment - even if you manage to get on extra hatchling, the cost is covered. Two more hatchlings and you've doubled your money!

The two books that you need are "The Complete Carpet Python" authored by US carpet python experts Nick Mutton and Justin Julander. The other is "Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons", which was edited by Mike Swan but authored by several different Australian breeders.

The Complete Carpet Python - http://www.herpbooks.com.au/cms/fie...=178&flypage=flypage.tpl&pop=0&keyword=carpet

Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons - http://www.herpbooks.com.au/cms/hus...tegory_id=17&keyword=keeping+breeding+pythons

If you need a hand with anything, feel free to send us an email at [email protected]

Last edited:
If you don't get answers on this thread do a forum search you will find that there is info on each question you asked

G'day 007,

The only book published in Danny Browns series is actually on elapids and colubrids, not on pythons unfortunately. They have one in the pipeline but it's yet to be published.

Sorry, now that you've pointed it out I just realised I read it wrong. I'm sure it will be good when it does come out though

I agree with totally this comment! I managed to piece together little bits of information from both sources into a complete understanding of breeding and how to do it! Articles here from Doc Rock: Reptile Husbandry Articles by Southern Cross Reptiles

I agree with the books that have been recommended but also I was lucky enough to become mates with a breeder that I bought a couple of pythons off. He then "mentored" me when I bred my first clutch, I found this more helpful than any book I`ve read. Thanks Mungus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back