Heat tile set-up advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldestMagician

Reaction score
I've just set up a heat tile for my Bredli which is 300mmx300mm using a heat chord stretched between hooks inside a wooden frame with the tile sitting on top.
I don't have a thermostat for it and it is currently reaching 37 degrees on one half and 39 degrees on the other side which has more of the heat chord underneath. Is this too hot? There are other hides inside the enclosure for her to use if she gets too warm. My other option would be to spread the heat chord out more so less is underneath the tile, if I do this with the intention of not using a thermostat what temperature do you think I should be aiming for? 34/35?

Thanks

Bredli r fine @ 35 but I would aim for 32/35.... No hotter

I've just set up a heat tile for my Bredli which is 300mmx300mm using a heat chord stretched between hooks inside a wooden frame with the tile sitting on top.
I don't have a thermostat for it and it is currently reaching 37 degrees on one half and 39 degrees on the other side which has more of the heat chord underneath. Is this too hot? There are other hides inside the enclosure for her to use if she gets too warm. My other option would be to spread the heat chord out more so less is underneath the tile, if I do this with the intention of not using a thermostat what temperature do you think I should be aiming for? 34/35?

Thanks
Put a 400 x 400mm tile on top and the extra spead of the larger tile and additional thickness will reduce the temperature.

Ah that would have been easier haha. Managed to spread it out and get it to 34 across the tile. Thanks for the help guys

Have the same set-up, 1 4.5m heat cord doing 3 cages in a vertical row, no thermostat used but is on a timer 2hours on 1 off (day) & 1 on 2 off at night.
August9th20136_zps9e590404.jpg

It's a good idea to still use a thermostat for peace of mind at the very least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a good idea to still use a thermostat for peace of mind at the very least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is better to design the cage setup so that the cage cant overheat as thermostats can give you a false sense of security. Like any mechanical device they can fail, and if they do you dont want a cooked animals. Great backup but dont use them instead of sensible design!

It is better to design the cage setup so that the cage cant overheat as thermostats can give you a false sense of security. Like any mechanical device they can fail, and if they do you dont want a cooked animals. Great backup but dont use them instead of sensible design!

agreed, good advice i was told was that the heat mat being close to the temperature you want without a thermostat is a good indication the wattage is not too high and you've selected the right product, but even still there should thermostat.
Curious though, when you say 'sensible design' is there ideal placement or enclosure design that makes things safer? (aside from thermal gradient etc.)

Like you say, keep the heat source as low a wattage as possible. Have a large well ventilated cool end so any surplus heat can dissipate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back