Heat mat or heat cord?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HayleyChuck93

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Was just wondering what is better to use for underneath click clacks, either a heat mat or heat cord with a tile above?
Also what wattage is the best to go for and least likely to over heat?

Will be using either one with a thermostat.

Any info from previous experience would be appreciated!

Cheers
Hayley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a 5W heat mat. Not had any problems so far. With a tile you'll have to raise the other end of the click clack to keep it level.

Every1 will have thr own preferences and it will be up to you in the end. I run a heat mat off my thermostat.never had any probs and simple as

Thanks guys! Was planning on just going with a heat mat just wasn't sure if they were prone to breaking.

I have seen others talk about a certain brand of mat tht is usually avoided.but dnt know what the brand is sorry

Haha that is okay. Why should they be avoided anyway? What happens when one faults? Is it really dangerous?

So many questions.. Haha

Heat mats can be very dangerous. There are countless stories of them overheating and scorching surfaces or catching on fire. PLACING THEM UNDER ANYTHING (LIKE BETWEEN A TILE AND A TIMBER SURFACE) WITHOUT ADEQUATE VENTILATION IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS, EVEN WITH A THERMOSTAT. Of course you won't have any trouble... until that one time when the thermostat fails. Even the 5W and 7W mats can get hot enough to scorch a table.

The safest heat source is a heat cord run in routed tracks, and covered with aluminium tape to spread the heat (available from Jaycar). The heat cord can be run on the surface and taped down, but you'll need to raise one end of the click clack to make it level.

I've seen the damage heat mats can cause and would never have them in my house.

Jamie

^^^^ As above....most keepers are moving away from mats and using the cords these days....Plenty of threads in DIY regarding the fitting of the cords

Heat mats are simpler to use however their have been reports of failures, which overheat even to the extent of fire. I use a lot of matts and haven't had a problem so i think problems eminate primarily from the cheaper green matts. 5 watts is probably too low a wattage to achieve adequate temperature in Victoria particularly in winter. A large wattage can be reused in the next cage with a thermostat.

Good advice on matching the wattage to your location from Wokka. I like to use the lowest wattage capable of reaching my desired temps, that way if you do get a thermostat or timer fail hopefully things don't too hot to cause much damage, to property or your snake.

I have both but have switched to a 15w heat cord. I put mine with a tile over the top and have it taped down in neat rows using aluminium tape. Obviously using a thermostat. Good advice is to always use the lowest wattage to obtain you intended heat. You don't want a powerful heat source that your thermostat is having to regulate a lot. As what others have said it seems as though heat cords are beginning to become the choice. The heat mats everyone worries about are the ones that come in a dark green bag

I have used Thermofilm 30W/metre heat film for two decades (along with hundreds of others) and found it to be safe, easy to set up (no thermostat required when placed directly under one end of an enclosure). It can be cut to any length as required. It is inexpensive as well. I've seen it mounted vertically on the back wall of racks as well. Higher wattages are also available that do need a dimmer (rheostat) and/or thermostat as well.

Available from the HerpShop it's my heat source of choice. (Disclosure: I have no fininacial or business association whatsover with Thermofilm or the HerpShop).

Thanks so much everyone. This is the sort of information I was after. I think I will go for heat cords then due to being super paranoid of fires. If they are safer, cheap and easy to set up I have got nothing to lose. ������

Is there anywhere online anyone would recommend buying them from or any particular brand?
There is quite a few for cheap on ebay, just don't want to go buying one that is poor quality.

Last edited:
Herp Shop is a great supplier, and in Vic as well. I agree with the Thermofilm comment as well, never heard of any problems with that product, but it's not a "buy and just plug in" product..

Jamie

Thanks so much everyone. This is the sort of information I was after. I think I will go for heat cords then due to being super paranoid of fires. If they are safer, cheap and easy to set up I have got nothing to lose. ������

Is there anywhere online anyone would recommend buying them from or any particular brand?
There is quite a few for cheap on ebay, just don't want to go buying one that is poor quality.

I've bought both of mine off of eBay. Had no problems.

I use heat cords. I've never owned a heat mat.

When I got my first hatchy I siliconed some heat cord to a tile and sat the click clack on top. When he went into his first enclosure I used the same heat cord. And now that he is in his adult enclosure I'm still using the same heat cord.

They are pretty flexible and fool proof. I can also control how hot it gets so even if the thermostat fail it will never get hot enough to burn my pets.

I don't use thermostats with most them as it is very easy to adjust the hot spot while using heat cord and allows day to day variation of temps.

I use a heat cord under my click clack and also in my woman's enclosure under the tile as mentioned above.
I have a cord long enough that the one cord does both enclosures. Never had a problem with it. I've not had anything happen with heat mats (used them previously) but I've read/heard too many horror stories to bother with them anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back