Where do you feed your snakes?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
or they really just don't know any better and honestly thinks it helps with "cage defensiveness".

lol, you really need to tell my snakes how theyre meant to behave,...my comment is based on personal observation rather than internet hearsay,...

lol, you really need to tell my snakes how theyre meant to behave,...my comment is based on personal observation rather than internet hearsay,...

Hi Chris, my comment is based on observation also. Every single one of my snakes behave exactly the same regardless of where they're fed. However, I have also always pulled them all out of their tanks with a hook. They understand hook = no food. If you just stick your hands in there then it's perfectly acceptable for a snake to think food is coming. In my experience, some snakes are very quick to strike before giving a sniff. It's routine (or lack of one) that makes snake "cage defensive" in regards to food. All imo, of course.

@getarealdog how long does it take you to find them/ get them out of the outdoor enclosures?

How do you get around licensing having the elapids outside? Is there certain requirements that have to be met?

BTW they are all stunning mate.

@getarealdog how long does it take you to find them/ get them out of the outdoor enclosures?
Not long only have to count to 3

How do you get around licensing having the elapids outside? Is there certain requirements that have to be met?
Nothing to get around, read the regs. Have had "the visit" no dramas.

BTW they are all stunning mate.
Thanks
PA270738_zpsa2bd0f8f.jpg

Haven't read the VIC regs but I thought that they had to be in locked cages in a locked room if they were inside so just wondering if the outdoor had to be completely covered and locked?

"an escape proof receptacle" unless they have changed the regs. Told them they had locks on the lids, area is locked, they paid me a visit (not by choice) nothing was said, just quoted me "an escape proof receptacle". They get a better range of temps out there & being tigers & rbb's they should thrive. Number 1 on the list MUST BE ESCAPE PROOF!

Tried to feed my jungles outside today but they would rather go for a swim in the thawing bucket.

6NRu9ey.jpg

stwpCV7.jpg

WWbiO6e.jpg

tCiEP4S.jpg

My hatchlings on the racks get fed in their tubs. The caged animals get their own individual tubs with name tags on them, small 10L ones for small animals and large 20L ones for the adults. I pretty much took over our air hockey/pool table, covered with a tablecloth and use that as the feeding table

- - - Updated - - -

"an escape proof receptacle" unless they have changed the regs. Told them they had locks on the lids, area is locked, they paid me a visit (not by choice) nothing was said, just quoted me "an escape proof receptacle". They get a better range of temps out there & being tigers & rbb's they should thrive. Number 1 on the list MUST BE ESCAPE PROOF!
Don't they need a warrant or something to come into your house or onto your proprty, as far as I know thats what they need up here, they can't set foot on your land without a warrant and even then they can only come after a complaint has been made and the situation investigated, i.e. animal being mistreated, photgrapgic proof, someone getting bitten, animal out of control etc.

Don't they need a warrant or something to come into your house or onto your proprty, as far as I know thats what they need up here, they can't set foot on your land without a warrant and even then they can only come after a complaint has been made and the situation investigated, i.e. animal being mistreated, photgrapgic proof, someone getting bitten, animal out of control etc.

Mate (not by choice)-read between the lines....

I know its part of our licenses here in SA that we allow our fauna unit to inspect our premise if they request, not sure in other states though but would assume similar laws are in place.

Rick

[MENTION=37115]marcus0002[/MENTION] haha pretty cute seeing the jungles loving a swim!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know its part of our licenses here in SA that we allow our fauna unit to inspect our premise if they request, not sure in other states though but would assume similar laws are in place.

Rick
Not here in NSW. If they want to see your animals and ask to come into the house, they need a warrant to do so if you say no. Not that I have anything to hide though. This is information I have looked into myself and have been told similar by other keepers.

Rick

Same in Qld. It is written into the license conditions.

Not here in NSW. If they want to see your animals and ask to come into the house, they need a warrant to do so if you say no. Not that I have anything to hide though. This is information I have looked into myself and have been told similar by other keepers.

That doesn't sound right. How can the COP be enforceable if inspections aren't in the licensing conditions.

Written on the NSW licence is "An officer of the OEH may call to make a routine inspection of your holdings/collection or facilities without notice" it is also witten in 11 &12 of the conditions of your licence in NSW so it sounds to me that if you don't allow
them to inspect your collection you would be in breach of your licence conditions .

Last edited:
on where you feed 'em, if you live somewhere warm enough drape them over your outdoor setting chairs( great perch ). provides entertaining viewing on a Friday night. once they finish put them back in enclosure

I feed most of mine in their enclosures by hand used to put them in tubs but takes way to long now with such a collection. I have not had a problem with being cage defensive I get them out 3 days after feed and give house a clean out while they are drapped around shoulders or arm. The expections to this are the woma's as they tend to get defensive with their enclosures and the 10 foot costal as he likes to stretch out on the lounge room floor and eats his tucker.

I feed my DeVis banded in her enclosure as that is the only way she will eat. I feed my albino darwin in his enclosure as it is the easiest way. I feed my jungle in a tub as she rarely eats in her enclosure. And I feed my woma in a tub, or halfway on the floor/halfway in her enclosure when she is being too picky to eat in her tub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back