Do bearded dragons and blue tounges mix?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanbichel

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all, Just wondering if bearded dragons and bluetongues would be able to mix in the same enclosure. Any help will be appreciated.

generally not well, but if you have a big outdoor pit it could work.

It is possible. And I have seen it done wonderfully. But depends on the individual for sure. But as already stated, theres a big risk and it just isn't worth it in my opinion.

Yeah I wouldn't do it. Beardies are territorial with other beardies in the same enclosure alot of the time. Wou;dnt be worth it to see if they will get along.

Ive got a mate who has centralians, blue tongues and shingle backs in the same indoor enclosure, but its about 8 feet long by 3 feet deep, lots of room for all of them and I think they were housed together from a very young age.
I have just decided to separate my mixed species enclosure, it worked really well for almost 2 years but in the last 6 months I have started to see issues, reptiles going off their food and some small bites, I had Jackies, Netteds, Pigmy Beardies, Easter Water Skinks, Striated Tree Skinks, and southern forest dragons in a 6x2x3 foot enclosure. Trust me when I say I have tried mixed species enclosures and they just don't work anywhere near as well as you would hope, one of your reptiles is ALWAYS going to be worse off. If you don't have room to house separately, don't keep them.

I wouldn't keep juveniles or animals that aren't of adult size together. Back when i was about 15 i housed Baby blue tongues and some baby water dragons together, the dragons got eaten! but saying that,I've successfully housed them in outside pits together with no problems.

Bearded dragons require arid desert conditions, heat and hot basking spot while blue tongues definitely don't need the same.

They may survive together but they won't thrive together

Bearded dragons require arid desert conditions, heat and hot basking spot while blue tongues definitely don't need the same.

We have bearded dragons in Canberra...... And bluetongues......
Certainly not arid here.

we have both beardies and bluetounges living in our yard at Newcastle although i would admitt it is looking a bit arid after all this heat.

Please allow me to clarify my statement

Inland Bearded Dragons = Vitticeps are the commonly kept pet beardies they come from Inland Australia

Eastern Bearded Dragons = Barbatas are the ones found along the east coast of Australia and you are both correct as they live happily alongside blueis in my backyard also

Depends which one the OP was referring to

Cheers
Sandee :)

ok thanks guys. I have the room to house separately I was just seeing if I would be able to save some money by not having to buy separate enclosures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back